Road Closure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Teegate, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

All,

There is a new road closure in Wharton. Quite a few members here use a road off of Tuckerton to drive to High Crossing Road and park vehicles when accessing Quarter Mile by foot. Vehicles using this road do not at any time get to Quarter Mile. However, it does cross a small stream and passes through a sensitive area along the way. With that said, this road shows up on the 1931 aerials, was recently scraped by the FFS, and is a wonderful viable road that should not be closed. The practice of blocking off specific locations could have been done with no impact of vehicle traffic and of sensitive vegetation as far as I am concerned.

It is important for everyone to keep in mind there are many other roads just like this road which most likely will suffer the same fate. I complained to the Superintendent a year ago about the fact that signs were going up at the end of this road blocking access to a parking area on High Crossing Road, and was told no roads were closed. I was dead on with predicting the future and I am predicting there are more to come.

Dark forces are among us and you all should be concerned.

Guy

IMG_2995a.jpg

IMG_2996a.jpg

The gate is located here. No turn around so you must back up. I have to assume it was placed this far down the road so it was not out in the open for everyone to notice. Out of sight out of mind.

https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78276951568654&lng=-74.65567130249025&z=18&type=hybrid&gpx=

#1 Teegate, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  2. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Pain in the ass. I was just in there last year exploring.

3. Broke Jeep Joe

Broke Jeep Joe Explorer

I figured this would come sooner. Guy, this is the road I PM'd you about back in 2017. Guess we can expect more as you say since Rob is back.

4. Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe Explorer

It is hard for me to sort out the relationship between the Wharton Sup, DEP, the Pine Barrens Commission, and the influence of the PPA. Is the Wharton Sup doing this with the blessing of the other agencies (if you can answer directly)? In other words, does he need to ask for approval?

And if this proceeds as you predict, do you think the MAP will go into effect, but as a back-door "do-it-over-time" strategy?

5. 46er

46er Piney

IMO, yes and if there is no substantial push-back things will speed up. DEP now reports to a different administration.

Jon Holcombe likes this.
  6. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I think the do-it-over-time strategy is already in motion. And in regard to approval I am sure he can close individual roads at will. Nothing wrong with that when there is no other alternative, but with the above mentioned road the area in question can be protected without closing the road, just like other area's that have been blocked and the road remains open. Most of that occurred when the Superintendent was not here and it worked well.

We should be able to drive to High Crossing Road and exit our vehicle there to access Quarter Mile. I usually walk from the ruins at Hampton because I see and experience more, but not everyone is like me. I only found the gate this week because I wanted to walk in from the other side of Quarter Mile from High Crossing Road.

Yes Joe we have discussed this road before.

#6 Teegate, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Jon Holcombe and Broke Jeep Joe like this.
  7. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Without doing a lot of elaborate searching, didn't the pinelands commission agree on a map of open roads? Is that road on it?

Jon Holcombe likes this.
  8. Piney4life

Piney4life Explorer

Not surprised have seen many side rds off Hampton that are blocked to motor vehicles

9. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

Yes, many roads along Glossy Spung now are blocked by trees. And on one road a huge tree fell last year and has not been cut. They want to keep you from getting close to the bridge at Hampton Forge.

10. manumuskin

manumuskin Piney

Are four wheelers tearing up that pond just past the gate? Perhaps snakes in the sandy clearings or just plain and simple "Get Off My Lawn" crap?