Round Abouts

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This article you can read without subscription. Very interesting. We are way down the list on number of traffic circles. I thought the country was moving in the opposite direction, but no. Think of the 206 and 70 circle. I used to hate it, but not so much since I moved to barnegat with its numerous lights. To me traffic lights are tiny deaths now, drive me crazy. I hit 6 lights in 1.5 miles going east. Going west, I don't hit one until 539 and 72 after 6 miles of driving bliss. The pines offer so much for sanity.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
This article you can read without subscription. Very interesting. We are way down the list on number of traffic circles. I thought the country was moving in the opposite direction, but no. Think of the 206 and 70 circle. I used to hate it, but not so much since I moved to barnegat with its numerous lights. To me traffic lights are tiny deaths now, drive me crazy. I hit 6 lights in 1.5 miles going east. Going west, I don't hit one until 539 and 72 after 6 miles of driving bliss. The pines offer so much for sanity.

A sign of the times, population, and antiquated roads. Rt 9 is a good example. While a bit more than a mile and a half, go from Bayville to Beachwood. It's practically impossible to make a left-hand turn even with the lights crossing the road. I imagine you're talking about Rt 72 in front of the shopping centers. Then try LBI going South during summer.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This section in Barnegat (if it's not summer) is worse by far than route 72 where the shopping is. That is the parkway and west bay avenue.

1669406552996.png

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
This section in Barnegat (if it's not summer) is worse by far than route 72 where the shopping is. That is the parkway and west bay avenue.

View attachment 18706
I never would have thought. I used to work in Ocean Acres and would pass through that area 2x a day. It's been some years now; I don't work down there anymore but with all the building that was going on, the shopping centers and parkway I can imagine. There are 6 lights in that area now? I bet you miss Bamber Lake, not that Forked River is any better and Lacey Rd.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I never would have thought. I used to work in Ocean Acres and would pass through that area 2x a day. It's been some years now; I don't work down there anymore but with all the building that was going on, the shopping centers and parkway I can imagine. There are 6 lights in that area now? I bet you miss Bamber Lake, not that Forked River is any better and Lacey Rd.
When I lived in Bamber, I mostly loved it, but I really tired of trying to get into the rest of the pines from Bamber. The best way was at one time Webb's Mill road, but that was undriveable for a couple years, and in most years a bumpy hell. Also, 8 miles to the Shop Rite was too much, and going to Whiting for food was wallet slimming, and even that was almost 7 miles. If I was south of 72 in the woods, I'd have to drive all the way up 530 to Roosevelt city and then reverse direction and go south on Lacey Road to home. That back road to Whiting from Bamber along the Tuckerton RR side road is another kind of hell.

Now I can be at Warren Grove in 10 minutes and Coyle field in 12 minutes. Much nicer...and they now mow my lawn and just raked up all the leaves. If it snows, they shovel it. Life is better for sure. This time of year I used to dread. In Bamber I had a big sycamore by the garage. It was the last tree to shed, and it took 6 hours to get all the leaves up.

auto

Feb 14, 2014
They work till they don't work. I visit my buddy down in VA. Their on board with circles

Reactions: bobpbx

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
When I lived in Bamber, I mostly loved it, but I really tired of trying to get into the rest of the pines from Bamber. The best way was at one time Webb's Mill road, but that was undriveable for a couple years, and in most years a bumpy hell. Also, 8 miles to the Shop Rite was too much, and going to Whiting for food was wallet slimming, and even that was almost 7 miles. If I was south of 72 in the woods, I'd have to drive all the way up 530 to Roosevelt city and then reverse direction and go south on Lacey Road to home. That back road to Whiting from Bamber along the Tuckerton RR side road is another kind of hell.

Now I can be at Warren Grove in 10 minutes and Coyle field in 12 minutes. Much nicer...and they now mow my lawn and just raked up all the leaves. If it snows, they shovel it. Life is better for sure. This time of year I used to dread. In Bamber I had a big sycamore by the garage. It was the last tree to shed, and it took 6 hours to get all the leaves up.
I know the 2 dirt roads you speak of well. Food shopping every week can be a pain, other types of shopping not so much. Semi-seclusion towns such as Bamber, like anything else, have their pros and cons. The secret is finding a compromise that you apparently have. You traded semi-privacy for ease of shopping to talking to your neighbor window to window and traffic lights every block. Yardwork is not high on my list either so I'm not that anal about it. It gets done eventually.

Reactions: bobpbx

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
They added three traffic circles to a route I frequently travel in rural PA and it definitely improved the flow of traffic. Was a learning curve for the folks not familiar with them and you seen some crazy things at first

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
John, just so you know, not sure if you do. When you paste a photo like you did, you can resize it easily by clicking on it after it loads. You can then drag any corner to make it smaller.

How is your family doing? Your daughter made quite an impression on me with her outgoing, upbeat attitude. I bet she has a lot of friends.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
John, just so you know, not sure if you do. When you paste a photo like you did, you can resize it easily by clicking on it after it loads. You can then drag any corner to make it smaller.

How is your family doing? Your daughter made quite an impression on me with her outgoing, upbeat attitude. I bet she has a lot of friends.
Thanks I did not know that.
It’s been a little bit of a rough week. I had to take Stacia to the hospital Tuesday. She wound up getting 2 blood transfusions. She came home late Thanksgiving so we did the dinner yesterday. And yes Rachel is usually is upbeat and outgoing. Unless she is hungry lol.