Route 70 Work

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There are now approximately 5 five miles of plastic barrier about 4 feet high firmly affixed to the ground along New Jersey route 70, on both sides of the road, from 539 to the 530 cutoff to Browns Mills. I cannot find any information regarding this project. Usually it's done to see what wildlife exists before a major project.

Do any of you know what they (whomever) are doing this for?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I've seen them repave many times. Why do they suddenly need a plastic barrier? Do you know?
I don't get it either. Maybe put barriers where millings can run low lying areas or wetlands but it runs practically the entire length. I also don't like the shallow trench that was dug to install the barrier. Maybe Ocean County Soil Conservation District has some answers.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Drainage improvement is scheduled along RT 70 btw RT 530 and RT 539 from 3/22 thru 3/23 during night time hours, alternate lanes closed intermittently.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Drainage improvement is scheduled along RT 70 btw RT 530 and RT 539 from 3/22 thru 3/23 during night time hours, alternate lanes closed intermittently.

Yes, I saw that. Tom is right about the work. The Pinelands Commission must have been a little tough on them. The installation of those barriers had to be costly.

I know one thing. The light (and process for traffic control) at route 539 and 70 needs improvement in a big way. It has turned into a big bottleneck as it's a major intersection. I think that is part of the plan.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
When I got home for military service back in 1971, just in time for the Fall striper run at Island Beach SP, I passed through that intersection many of times. I believe only a 7-Eleven was on the corner at the time. It always seem I had to stop for the traffic light here, waiting for one or no cars to pass through on 539.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When I got home from Vietnam back in 1971, just in time for the Fall striper run at Island Beach SP, I passed through that intersection many of times. I believe only a 7-Eleven was on the corner at the time. It always seem I had to stop for the traffic light here, waiting for one or no cars to pass through on 539.

The only thing there back then was a dairy bar. :)

Last edited: