Ruins off of Oswego Rd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last Thursday was another beautiful day, so I decided to explore the area around Oswego Rd in this vicinity: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.66774650162723&lng=-74.41519618034363&z=14&type=m&gpx=. Classic pine barrens scenery on a little road which intersects Oswego:

01.jpg

I guess it's best not to give the exact location (if you feel this place is common knowledge then be my guest though), but something caught my eye back in the woods. I wouldn't exactly say that it's hidden, but you probably wouldn't notice it if you were just driving down the road.

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

The expression, "built like a brick sh*thouse" comes to mind....

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

A clearing and more junk in an adjacent area

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Anybody know what this is? Looks like it was a fair sized building. My guess would be a gun club. Farther down the road on the opposite side, and clearly visible was an even larger ruin of some sort. Again, was this a big gun club at one time? Not too far away there's an existing gun club which is fairly large. It was surrounded with yellow caution tape.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
My friend and I poked around there last summer. I don't know what it was, except that there are clearly the remains of one large rectangular building that was consumed by fire, and from the electrical fittings and whatnot that remain it seems to have had a commercial purpose.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There were several Gun clubs and a failed development on that road. Oriental has photo's in his gallery of the Highland Park Gun Club nearby.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Actually this is a different Oswego road. See the map link I posted at the beginning of this thread. You would take Allen Rd North from the intersection with Stage Rd, then turn right (East) on Oswego Rd. One of ruins is on the left side in plain sight, the other is farther down the road on the right side, back in the woods.

The failed development which Guy mentioned is on the Western part of Oswego road (would be a left turn from Allen Rd). That place has always interested me. Somewhere I have a bunch of photos of it, will have to take a look.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
OK thanks Boyd I'll have to take a trip and check the area out. I've been aorund Stage road so i'll have no problem finding it Thanks again.