Ruins, Replaced Pipe, And Various Other Things

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

A month back I noticed on the 1931 aerials a group of buildings just off Savoy Blvd in Chatsworth. This time frame was before any of the more known about industry showed up in that area. By 1940 it appears the place was waining.

I had wanted to get right out there where I would have been able to still see fairly easily; however, it took until today for me to get there. I was alone and was able to crash through the woods to see if I could find anything. It is a place you don't want to be this time of year. The woods are dense. In any event, to my surprise I was able to visit 3 of the ruins and will return in the fall to do a more extensive exploration. It would be interesting to know what was going on there.

The 1931 aerial showing the ruins I visited today.

ruinsa.jpg

A sample of what is there.

IMG_2943a.jpg

If anyone knows anything let us know.

Have you noticed they repaved Carranza from the end of the good section to the stone mountain at the Wharton border?

And they replaced the damaged pipe on Carranza. Ed, I guess they do care :)

IMG_2949a.jpg

And while checking on Morning Glory I discovered this lady on the trail. She was shy.

IMG_2953a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look closely in the aerial photo above, it appears there are roads laid out somewhat and the building are along it and on corners. Anyone agree? Maybe a failed development that some people actually purchased lot.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If you look closely in the aerial photo above, it appears there are roads laid out somewhat and the building are along it and on corners. Anyone agree?

Somebody must have had ambitious plans for that area. There are 2,700 parcels of about 1/16 acre each between Savoy Blvd and Rt 532! But the road on the 1930 aerial doesn't match the road on the parcel map. That might just be inaccurate georeferencing of the aerials however.

https://online.boydsmaps.com/viewer/#17/39.83215/-74.51365/njgin1930-x
https://online.boydsmaps.com/viewer/#17/39.83215/-74.51365/parcelsPro-x

Those parcels measure 88 feet x 26 feet each. Can't build much there. ;)

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Cool - that's exactly what is shown there! 4 of those lots would be ~ 88' x 104' (size approximate, parcel data isn't survey grade).

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Looked a little deeper into this. About 800 of the 2700 parcels in that area include ownership data, they are shown in magenta here

parcels1.JPG

The white cross in the image below is the "building" here: https://online.boydsmaps.com/viewer/#17/39.83215/-74.51365/njgin1930-x

parcels2.JPG

Here's a close-up of that area

parcels3.PNG

BTW - you need to click on these images to see them full size. I was recently shocked to learn that a long-time member of this site didn't know that! :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The buildings appeared to be the same size, shape and material used.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

Were you on Carranza today? Went across the tracks and returned a short while later and turned on the road past the campground??? If so you drove past me twice. :D

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes we were Guy. I don't know how I missed you. Next time jump up and down. :dance:I went for a look at the replaced culvert. I was amazed at the amount of pipe they dug out of there. There is some serious partying going on at the field by the Batona Camp. I cleaned up their mess a couple of times but I have had enough.
We drove out Quaker Bridge Road, not bad. The connector road to Hampton Road is still good but could use some care. Hampton Road between Deep Run and HF has not been addressed this year but is passible.
Did you notice that the repaving of Carranza stopped right at the Wharton boundary? I thought Carranza was a county road and would not be subject to local BS.
Q Mile is very quiet, too much so because the should be legal roads are getting grown over and will be lost. That's a couple of hundred years of history.
Anyway it has been a quiet spring out there except for all of the bug bites. I think I am going to wear a Seresto collar.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When you passed going to the pipes only my car was parked at the tracks. We were slightly up the tracks and I looked back and saw you pass. When you came back you drove right by Jessica and my wife and I was along side my car. We were heading back up Carranza behind you as you turned into Batona Camp.

I was told by a resident that the paving on Carranza is ending there until Shamong and Tabernacle can come up with an agreement to pay, or some other funding comes forward.

We were in the area checking on Morning Glory and had my wife with us. We were doing easy things because of her. She does not like the bugs.

We will be at Quarter Mile in July. There are yellow orchids I check on every year there that I found.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I saw the SUV, but thought you were just another weird Ukrainian mushroom hunter.:) My filter fir Guy is a small black car.
I was scratching all night, not chiggers or tics. Going back to Q today, lots of lizards for the girls to chase.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
We drove out Quaker Bridge Road, not bad. The connector road to Hampton Road is still good but could use some care. Hampton Road between Deep Run and HF has not been addressed this year but is passible.

Ed,
You mentioned a connector road between Quaker and Hampton, do you mean Stokes? I read this and have been trying to figure out another road that goes between them and cannot come up with one.

Kevin

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, I sorta did. It gets abit confusing with all of the roads out there that pretty much accomplish the same task. For me East Stokes Road is off of 206 and that's what I meant. Then you have East Stokes Road Bypass.
https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75230273382283&lng=-74.70802409807929&z=15&type=topo&gpx=
Here is where I meant.
https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74060892076947&lng=-74.69513196151735&z=15&type=topo&gpx=
We often name corners and roads something distinctive so we can have a conversation. I think the FFS has their own jargon. I wish they would share it so if I had something to report I would be understood.