Russel's crossing

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just checked my photo and it hasn't changed much. Still in pretty good shape :)

Guy

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
It actually looks like someone just repainted it. I was out there a couple of months back and it was really faded....

I am actually glad to see this post here. Does anyone know the meaning of the sign?

Does anyone know the meaning of the sign?

gipsie:

I do not know the meaning of the sign, but a quick check of the Social Security death index using the birth and death years as delimiters reveals the identity of three potential men for whom someone created this memorial:

Donald A. Russell—born 11 November 1926; died in Barnegat Light, Ocean County, on 13 March 2004

Russell C. Nalbone—born 1 July 1926; died in Trenton, Mercer County, on 29 June 2004

Russell E. Shemelia—born 22 May 1926; died in Mount Holly, Burlington County, on 5 January 2004

Does anyone know anything about any of these guys?

Best regards,
Jerseyman

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
gipsie:

Russell E. Shemelia—born 22 May 1926; died in Mount Holly, Burlington County, on 5 January 2004

Does anyone know anything about any of these guys?

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Obituary of Russell E Shemelia:

Lifelong resident of Mt Holly, NJ. Died at age 77 at Compassionate Care Hospice. Retired heavy equipment operator. Husband of the late Grace Ann; survived by children Larry of Browns Mills, NJ, Olivia Gardner of Altus, OH, Rose Anderson and Rickie Shemelia both of Mt Holly; 7 grandchildren; 4 great-grandchildren; and sisters Eleanor Crain and Dorothy Megee both of Mt Holly.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...el=in&GSst=33&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=21640330&

Obituary of Russell E Shemelia:

Lifelong resident of Mt Holly, NJ. Died at age 77 at Compassionate Care Hospice. Retired heavy equipment operator. Husband of the late Grace Ann; survived by children Larry of Browns Mills, NJ, Olivia Gardner of Altus, OH, Rose Anderson and Rickie Shemelia both of Mt Holly; 7 grandchildren; 4 great-grandchildren; and sisters Eleanor Crain and Dorothy Megee both of Mt Holly.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...el=in&GSst=33&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=21640330&

rjb:

Thanks for this information. I forgot about the obits at the findagrave website, so I’m glad you checked it out!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

NOTE: Apparently Pine Baron’s original posting about the spelling of the name “Russel” disappeared during a server hiccup while I was attempting to provide him with an answer. You will find my response below:

John:

Misspellings in names are commonplace. Earlier this year I assembled a biographical essay on an architect by the name of Russel Griffith Howard, who practiced his profession in western Pennsylvania during the early twentieth century. Census schedules, newspaper articles, and a variety of documents spelled his name with a single “L” and/or a double “L” and it was difficult to determine his real given name; even biographical volumes variously spelled it. After accessing some official records, I finally went with Russel with one “L.”

While I would tend to agree with you about the spelling on the marker, please don’t overrule an inadvertent or even an intentional error on the maker’s part. Also keep in mind that we don’t know whether the marker is referring to a given name or a surname. I tend to think it is the former.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NOTE: Apparently Pine Baron’s original posting about the spelling of the name “Russel” disappeared during a server hiccup while I was attempting to provide him with an answer. You will find my response below:

My post was deleted also.

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Jerseyman-

I agree with you on the misspelling of both given names and surnames. You see it all the time. I also believe the name on the sign is a given name. My point was that if I were to make an elaborate sign, with shadowed lettering, as a memorial for a possible friend or relative, I'd make sure I spelled it right. :D That's why I started searching for names with only one "L". I'm gonna keep looking at all possibilities, though.

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002