Sassafras ?

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
To all,

I am trying to locate an area, place or town called Sassafras. I read in the Martha diary excerpts in the Iron in the Pines book about the men from Martha Furnace hauling logs to Sassafras and bulding a cabin there. The men also went there by boat and hauled ore from Sassafras.
I have tried to research this but I keep coming up empty. Yesterday, I stopped at Busby's and asked Marilyn Schimdt, who in turned called a guy name Ted, (I don't know his last name). He believes it was just area with Sassafras trees and that's what they called it. Has anybody heard of or know anything about Sassafras ?

Thank you !
KenDawg

KenDawg said:
To all,

I am trying to locate an area, place or town called Sassafras. I read in the Martha diary excerpts in the Iron in the Pines book about the men from Martha Furnace hauling logs to Sassafras and bulding a cabin there. The men also went there by boat and hauled ore from Sassafras.
I have tried to research this but I keep coming up empty. Yesterday, I stopped at Busby's and asked Marilyn Schimdt, who in turned called a guy name Ted, (I don't know his last name). He believes it was just area with Sassafras trees and that's what they called it. Has anybody heard of or know anything about Sassafras ?

Thank you !
KenDawg

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. There is an area off Quaker Bridge Rd, not too far from Atsion, that looks like it had been inhabited in the past. There is at least one sassafras tree there that I recall. There may be more. Ken, if you still have it in your GPS the waypoint is "QB1".

B

bach2yoga

John Pearce, author of Heart of the Pines, on Barry's list might be familiar with it.
Renee

B

BarryC

Marilyn also asked me if I knew anything about it. I told her that I did not. This is what she wrote to me:
"Wish you had been here on Sunday. A man was looking for information about Sassafras. Never heard of it. Called Ted Gordon and he know of it from Beck's books but said it was nothing. He also gave me information about Purgatory for my book. I had seen Old Purgatory Road but never looked for the town. Have you been there?"
I told her I knew nothing of Sassafras or Purgatory. Anyone?