Saturday Snow Storm

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
All,

I'm sure you're all waking up from sleeping in a bit on a nice pre-snowstorm cloudy day. I can feel it in the air as I sit in my apartment in Philly getting ready to pack up and head back to South Jersey. I love snow but I love it even more when it hits areas that hate winter weather so much (and have been experiencing Spring-like weather since December). It leaves most people immobilized, who are out buying a year's supply of rations and snow shovels, while the outdoors are left vacant for a winter lovers paradise.

Just some thoughts for all of you if you're looking for something to do. If it starts snowing really hard this afternnon and there's a good 6 inches on the ground, we'll more than likely be playing snow football at the Atsion Ranger Station. This will make it the second annual Saturday February snow storm game (we played last year during that 14" storm in early/mid February and it was amazing).

So if you see a bunch of people playing football today and want to stop by, feel free.

Anybody else have any plans? Photography? Camping even (I was tempted for some PB snow camping . . . )?

Take advantage, as snow is looking to be a less occurring blessing around here.

Peace,

Justin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NewSchoolPiney said:
All,

So if you see a bunch of people playing football today and want to stop by, feel free.

It looks like you may have to play tomorrow. It is just flurrying here now so it will be after dark before you could play I would assume.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hope your day went well. I spent the day tuning up for the snow. Can't wait.....Got my equipment ready to go through the night. Two tractors, a John Deer with a hydraulic pull behind plow and a little '66 Jacobsen with a manual push plow that's a little gorilla in the snow.
yeeeeeha! That and a bit o' whiskey should get me thru the Eve'.

G.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Enjoy the storm guys. I flew down to the Raleigh/Durham NC area this morning to install one of our opera sets that's out on a rental. It's been raining pretty hard here all day with temperatures in the mid 40's. They don't expect to get any more than a coating here, if anything.

Now what concerns me is my return to NJ on Monday night, trying to get up my 300' long unplowed driveway! Would love to hear how much snow you end up with in the Medford vicinity so I'll know what to expect :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Enjoy the storm guys. I flew down to the Raleigh/Durham NC area this morning to install one of our opera sets that's out on a rental. It's been raining pretty hard here all day with temperatures in the mid 40's. They don't expect to get any more than a coating here, if anything.

Now what concerns me is my return to NJ on Monday night, trying to get up my 300' long unplowed driveway! Would love to hear how much snow you end up with in the Medford vicinity so I'll know what to expect :)

It is just starting to snow hard now. Maybe a half inch so far.

Guy

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
LARGO said:
Can't wait.....Got my equipment ready to go through the night. Two tractors, a John Deer with a hydraulic pull behind plow and a little '66 Jacobsen with a manual push plow that's a little gorilla in the snow.

Hehe...a man after my own heart. In addition to driving the Zamboni I also plow the lot at work. The boss has nothing but money so he went out and bought an '04 F-250 Super Duty (no diesel :( ) with an 8' Western plow/400 lb spreader. I'll be arriving at work around 3:00 a.m. to start clearing the lot, just me, the truck, plenty of coffee, and some tunes. No boss, no customers, no rugrats running around...lol Heaven I tell ya. There's no better excuse to play with toys than snow removal.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I will be getting out to the pines alot within the next couple of days, that's for sure.
Got an inch or so on the ground, moderate snow, and its starting to stick to the roads here on Long Island.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Made my first go 'round, just to get my pattern..and my groove on.
It seems as though it may be wet & heavy.

G.

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Just got back from touring Wharton. Its 12:00 now. Roads are OK for now. Rt 42 is a little slow. The woods are great. Saw more than one caravan of trucks out there tonight. Toured from Stokes to Quakerbridge and then out. Beautiful and quiet. One weird thing. Saw a large TOAD jumping across the trail and into the woods. Couldnt catch him though my friends were on my tail and I didnt wanna get reared. When you get a chance get out there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife and I went out for breakfast at 6AM this morning, and it was a piece of cake. We were eating and the reporters on TV were talking about whiteout conditions and we joked about that. But on the way home and since then it has been. More snow in the past two hours than all night.

Guy

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Snow

Travelled the PA turnpike from Philadelphia to Plymouth Meeting at 6 am this morning. White out it was. Those with less than all wheel drive were having a hard time. I work for the local utility so I'll be putting in 16 hours trying to keep the lights on for you all here in SE PA. Heavy wet snow,trees and wires don't mix.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Well, after waiting for something interesting to happen last night, I got bored and sometime between 1:30 & 2:00 just went to bed. (still went for a whiskey though ) Fiqured I'd just wait to see what morning had to offer. It certainly satisfied. Plenty of snow. Got my old Jacobsen cranked up and pushing. ( It's a manual plow so my upper body is shot ). Didn't break out my dad's John Deer till much later. 'Nough said about work. With that done it was time for play. Snow + kids + Quad = great time. The snow was just a wee bit above what my bike can handle while pulling so I spent some time alone on it laying down a squirley track in the yard. I pull two sleds with it and what a time the kids and I had. ( Dad has a little evil fun every now and then by lighting it up and feeding the kids much snow from the roost ) At one time I had all three kids and the wife on. Way cool !!
I have now had my fun plowing and want no more till next year. My body is aching and I am taking the rest of the day off. Saw lot's of people out today going heck knows where on such a pretty day. Even though the snow can be nasty it always looks great on the trees.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Sounds like you guys got a lot down there. A friend of mine works for an excavating company down in Hammonton and they have a lot of contracts around the area one of which is a HUGE office park that includes the offices of NFL films. They started around 2:00 this morning and were still at it as of 12:00 noon. They get to use the fun stuff-articulated loaders and 16' snow boxes and whatnot :dance:

Reading Largo's post makes me homesick :( I miss the days of heading straight for the woods behind my parents' place everytime it snowed. I would have given anything to have been bouncing around some snow covered sandroads in a 4x4 today rather than stacking mountains of the white stuff in the lot at work.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My wife and I took the Bronco out around the Penn/Oswego lake area. Lots of fun. Drove to the top of Spring Hill! Lots of virgin snow, didn't see many other tracks! The snow was very wet N' heavy. Man, the Bronco with the mud tires is really quite a machine, I tried to get it stuck a few times to see what it took, but I couldn't. I used to know the limits on my jeep but I haven't figured them out on the bronco yet. Had a great time.

Jeff