Sawmill Locations

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
seems like it was a little hamlet or something too. There are 2 cellar holes near the Original Godfrey sawmill.

relayer

Explorer
Jerseyman - Thanks for the link:)

Gentlemen - I'm sorry that you have encountered difficulty using the Hartman Maps. I have re-tested the links and all are in working order. Map 4 has an unusually large top margin which may make it look like it hasn't loaded. It does though. I'll probably crop it one of these days. The images are large so that all of Charles Hartman's notations will be as legible as can be. In tests I find it takes around 30 seconds for a map to load. Some windows system/browser combinations seem to have trouble handling larger graphics. So anyway, thanks for looking. It just takes a while to see these things.
Best,
relayer

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I got all of the maps this morning. Yesterday I could only get 1,2,3,4 and 6, the others giving me an X in the picture box.
The maps sure are beautiful, what detail. I only wish there were maps like these available for other sections of NJ.

Thanks,
Ed

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looks like a good project for me to turn these into garmin-compatible maps. :) Are there copyright restrictions that would prevent me from doing this and posting them somewhere like GPSFileDepot? I don't have time to do it now anyway, but it's something I could add to my list.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Looks like a good project for me to turn these into garmin-compatible maps. :) Are there copyright restrictions that would prevent me from doing this and posting them somewhere like GPSFileDepot? I don't have time to do it now anyway, but it's something I could add to my list.

Boyd
I don't know if your map project on these maps would be possible.When Guy and i were using them to find stones they didn't seem to be perfectly in scale.The survey info for the most part from point to point is good but wether every point is in scale and proper relation to everything else seems doubtful.I'd check it first so you don't waste your time making a map you think will work but will be inaccurate in the field.
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They will certainly need to be tweaked, but that should be do-able within some margin of error. The concept of "scale" is related to the map projection - you are trying to fit the curved surface of the earth on a flat piece of paper. The process of georeferencing the map bends and stretches the image to fit as long as you have enough control points. If there are some really major errors (like a road on the wrong side of a river), that will obviously be a problem. I will need to look at the maps and give it a try to know what is possible.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt that will work Boyd. Al is correct that they are certainly not to scale. We spent quite a bit of time looking for many of those stones and even using TopoDraw was futile most of the time. They just were not where the map had them drawn. Al and I had to do a massive amount of calculating, and even acquire other maps to find them. I spent hundred's of hours working on those maps.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am not saying for you not to attempt it, I am just mentioning my experience with them.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well, decided to have a look today and have been playing around for awhile. It definitely can be done. There are some errors that will be tough to reconcile with the USGS 24k maps, but after a little work things started lining up pretty well. They can be improved with more work, but here's a quick sample:

Here's a section of hartman #2

hart01.PNG

And the same area of the USGS 24k topo

hart02.PNG

And an overlay so you can see what lines up

hart03.PNG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have done a nice job Boyd! It does give a good overall idea of where you are.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks Guy. It will take awhile to improve this one and do the others, but it certainly seems possible. I will have more time in the months ahead for this kind of thing. I am still curious if there are any copyrights or restrictions that would prevent me from doing this and sharing the results.

The cool thing about these maps is that my own property is on them, and I learned it was once owned by Andrew Steelman. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I doubt there are copyrights. From what I gather he was just someone who did this on his own.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We spent quite a bit of time looking for many of those stones and even using TopoDraw was futile most of the time. They just were not where the map had them drawn. Guy

Guy, are the directions below the type you and Al usually have to follow?

"Begin at cedar tree 20 yards to the left of large spung, cross the root by the red maple, then follow intermittent stream 200 yards and find a big laurel right behind a post oak. Stand on other side and advance 43 paces and turn right…jump an old blueberry fence, kick bucket out of way and proceed north by northwest 150 feet and cross sand road but bear to the right a mite. Jump ditch and follow for 600 yards, turn right into briar patch and barrel forward with head down. When head is hurtfully stopped by big white oak, look to left and see old post. Corner stone is 25 yards further beyond the big bull pine"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, are the directions below the type you and Al usually have to follow?

"Begin at cedar tree 20 yards to the left of large spung, cross the root by the red maple, then follow intermittent stream 200 yards and find a big laurel right behind a post oak. Stand on other side and advance 43 paces and turn right…jump an old blueberry fence, kick bucket out of way and proceed north by northwest 150 feet and cross sand road but bear to the right a mite. Jump ditch and follow for 600 yards, turn right into briar patch and barrel forward with head down. When head is hurtfully stopped by big white oak, look to left and see old post. Corner stone is 25 yards further beyond the big bull pine"

No. That is a PBX route.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here's a detail of the overlay at 1:24000 scale, to give a little clearer idea of how the maps line up.
Yes Boyd this is great! The landmarks at time drawn in around the survey info did not seem to be totally accurate because Guy would pick points with his program on the map and then the program would spit out coords for any other point you pick so for instance you could pick two road intersections on the Hartman maps ,get the real coords off another program and then load those into the program and then it will spit back any coords for any other point chosen on the map.We tried to find stones this way and it did not work.I don't have that program so Guy did all this type of plotting.The roads do seem to be placed more accurately then the streams are drawn in.If you could find a way to make this work and actually get the hartman maps to match up with standard topos this would be a ground breaking stone finding tool.We either found or at least tried to find every stone marked on those maps that obviously wasn't in an area that has been destroyed.Their may well be stones at some of the other points shown where no stone is listed.You've got me wanting to get out there and try to find a few of them.
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
From what I've seen so far, the roads are pretty accurately drawn but the streams are not. They must have started with a road map and added the other details. But I think locations of dams and also places where the streams cross the roads are pretty accurate.

From what I've seen so far, the roads are pretty accurately drawn but the streams are not. They must have started with a road map and added the other details. But I think locations of dams and also places where the streams cross the roads are pretty accurate.
Great posting as always, Teegate. I'd love to see maps/coordinates of the sandstone base of the Wading River works. That's definitely old-school!