Scat identification

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
On my hike today I kept seeing white scat. Not very large as you can see next to pine needles. Why is it white and what would have made it?

43.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
an educated guess I'd say coyote.was it full of hair?cat turds are usually pointed on one end and at least an attempt to bury them has been made.if this turd was on a well used human trail I'd say coyote because they use our trails reguarly.Dog turds are rounded on the end and if it's full of hair it's not domestic.actually judging by the pine needles that is kinda small/could be fox also.
Al

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Small canine. Red or gray fox.
The white coating is confectioner's sugar.
Always the prankster, the fox tries to dupe dopey domestic dogs into sampling their crap donut while they sit grinning in the bushes.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
an educated guess I'd say coyote.was it full of hair?cat turds are usually pointed on one end and at least an attempt to bury them has been made.if this turd was on a well used human trail I'd say coyote because they use our trails reguarly.Dog turds are rounded on the end and if it's full of hair it's not domestic.actually judging by the pine needles that is kinda small/could be fox also.
Al

No fur but there was other larger non-white scat with fur in the area in the process of breaking down. We have had many dogs over the decades and we don't clean up after them (acerage) and I've never seen this happen. Given they have different diets.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Small canine. Red or gray fox.
The white coating is confectioner's sugar.
Always the prankster, the fox tries to dupe dopey domestic dogs into sampling their crap donut while they sit grinning in the bushes.

Those pesky foxes....my dog prefers the "foxy doo-doo cologne".....applied heavily behind the ears and liberally on the neck.

Seriously though....don't owls regurgitate something similar to this after chowing down on some unsuspecting critter? I remember reading that the white color is an indication of high nitrogen content. ? ? ?:science:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Seriously though....don't owls regurgitate something similar to this after chowing down on some unsuspecting critter? I remember reading that the white color is an indication of high nitrogen content. ? ? ?:science:

Owls do regurge what are called pellets; which consists of the bones, fur, etc of their meals. A picture from an Audubon site below. A good way to find owl trees are to look for white splashes on the ground and tree branches, which is the non-regurgitated waste :) The pic is not from an owl.

Owl%20Pellet.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
O A good way to find owl trees are to look for white splashes on the ground and tree branches, which is the non-regurgitated waste

I see that all the time, but I always look around and never see any evidence that they have a crib around. They may have been just resting there for the night.

Guy