searching for whippoorwills......

klagesbonnie

Jul 13, 2006
I was looking on the web for whippoorwill locations---I am from southwestern VA originally and they no longer hear the birds there. I am so yearning to hear them that I would travel somewhere--your website came up and just thought I'd ask....thanks

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
klagesbonnie said:
I was looking on the web for whippoorwill locations---I am from southwestern VA originally and they no longer hear the birds there. I am so yearning to hear them that I would travel somewhere--your website came up and just thought I'd ask....thanks

We got them all over. They keep my up half the night sometimes. I like them though.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There are lots of them around my place. That really made my day the first night I spent in my new home a couple months ago. They're really loud if you're near them too.

I've never gone down there in the evening, but you might try the Maple Lake Wildlife Management Area if you want to hear some, it's not far from my house.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/wmamaps/maple_lake.pdf

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'll go with Largo and say when I was growing up in Marlton they were the first thing I hear in the morning in the summertime, but I don't hear them when I visit my mom now.

Guy