season is about done

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i guess its safe to say herps are gone for the year, i did see a painted,or redbelly the other day, but i think he was the do do of the turtle world, poor guys probable gonna end up a popsicle, :( , best of luck to him, anyone else seen any herps as of late

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I don't know if this is entirely correct, but herps = reptiles. I haven't seen my buddy the black rat snake (the one I rescued over the the summer) in a while, so I guess he's hunkered down somewhere for the winter. He ought to be stuffed-the field mice have all but dissapeared from under my shed!

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
The turtle probably won't freeze.. on sunny days during the winter you can actually see them out basking or swimming underneath the ice. This time of year you can find marbled salamanders, and in the winter in tiger salamander season. On the sunny days you can catch some garters out basking. Last year at the end of November, on a cold, rainy night my friend caught a 3' black rat snake out crossing a road...and i know on the warmer days in november friends of mine have caught pines.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I bet today there is lots of things out, turtles are still out on warm days and will continue to do so as long as the winter is mild. I saw a black rat yesterday basking. And if you look way back on this forum you will see I found a yearling pine on october 30th last year. All turtles will be out on days like today especially since yesterday was warm. They are harder to find because all reptiles aren't on the move in this weather. They simple come out of their den, sun for an hour or two, then go back in. Here are some pics from yesterday. Also sometimes these are the best days to herp, you set the bar real low, and if you find anything you are happy. The rat was about 6 foot.

IMG_7037.jpg

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

IMG_7015.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Snakehunter as far as the paint freezing he will be ok. In fact paints have been known to completely freeze in the winter like wood frogs...especially hatchlings. They simple thaw out in the spring. Turtles are phenomenally hardy and can withstand really adverse conditions. For the most part however they just go to the bottom of a pond or onto land, the temp at the bottom of ponds below the frost line seems to stay constant at 39 degrees, therefore the turtle just slows down big time. But like snakeman said it is pretty common to see turtles a) basking when snow is still on the ground, and b)moving around under a frozen pond. Peoples perception that animals go into this really deep hibernation sleep is kind of a fallacy, they just slow down really.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i didnt mean like a chunk of ice but i thought he would die, i had no idea you can see turtles under the ice in winter, thats awesome, and i thought snake stay in there dens until spring, wow, thats cool. i agree now would be a great time to look, i gotta try and make 1 more trip. i heard that some types of turtles burrow into the mud for winter sometimes, is that true

Ps. dragoncjo, that is a really nice ratsnake, great condition, what general area was he, if you dont mind.

the other turtles were nice shots too

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Not to beat a dead horse, but I've found plenty of herps during "unlikely" times of the year before. I've seen a number of turtles swimming below the ice (all painted), found turtles in mid january (again, painted), snakes in late november, frogs ALL year long . . .

snakehunter: pretty much all (semi)aquatic turtles will burrow in mud (underwater) for the winter. most of them have specialized structures called bursae in their mouth and cloaca that allow some oxygen absorption underwater. given that colder water tends to be more highly oxygenated, and that the slowed metabolism of an ectotherm cooled below 55 degrees requires very little oxygen to sustain life - the little amount they're able to "breathe" underwater is more than enough to remain submerged for a few months. that PRETTY much covers every NJ species except box turtles (maybe woods) - who won't burrow underwater necessarily, but still need a nice moist spot underground to hibernate in (dessication is probably #2 on the list of why some turtles die during hibernation). surprisingly enough, they don't always burrow very far under, either - i've seen box turtles hibernate no more than a few inches below the surface.

as for seeing turtles (or any herps, for that matter) when its "too cold to be spring", you have to take into account that the human concept of "temperature" is a very relative and generalized one. we look at the weather channel - see that its 55 degrees - walk outside and say: "yep - feels like 55 to me!". without me getting too stupid with this - just be conscious of the fact that even though the average air temp in the area may be 55 - that varies ALOT within little microlocalities.
example: on a sunny 55 degree day - the air temperature can be 55 in partial sun - 35 in a densely shaded area - and where the sun has been beating all day it can be 65 or more. to go even further - the inch or two blanket of air covering a sun-drenched spot can (locally) get much hotter. in some places with a drastic temperature gradient - you can feel the local winds and breezes the convection creates even when its not windy anywhere else (crossley in the spring or fall is an excellent example).

early last spring i remember being surprised to be standing on a bridge at the great swamp: on one side of the bridge the marsh was frozen. on the other side it was not only liquid, but had clusters of basking painted turtles on every bit of debris that broke the water's surface. it was in the low 30's that day (and i froze my butt off).

What I should have realized right off the bat - when you're thinking in terms of a small black turtle (or snake, etc) sitting in the sun for 3 hours straight - you may be freezing at 35 degrees - but he's feeling a mild spring day.

-Bob

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Checked out my marbled salamander spot saturday, no luck! This is strange, last year I found dozens around this time of year. All I managed to turn up was a leadphased redback salamander, whipee. Checked garter den, nothing was out. So I spent my time setting up tin/boards instead.