Seasons are a Changin'

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Being treated with some early fall weather on Friday, I explored the area east of Route 206 about 1/2 mile south of Atsion Lake. I walked down a road for about 1 1/2 miles, loaded with water hazards with go arounds that were probably created many years ago. Looking at the change in the foliage you can tell that the fall is not too far off. The main purpose for the day was to look for rattlesnake-root. Well, I couldn't find that one plant growing somewhere back in there. However, I believe I was in the right habitat. Anyway, here's some pictures from the day.

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

Can anyone ID this plant?

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3672.JPG

All plants are totally under water

IMG_3679.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I know the road you were on.I tried driving it through once in a really dry summer.I made it about half way to the Mullica River road and was stopped by a large stump sticking up in the very middle of the road I could not clear.I then went back out to 206 and down the Mullica and came in from the east .I once again made it to that stump and could not clear it so I can't say weahter I"ve driven the whole road or not? I now have a higher clearance vehicle but I know that s a wicked road and this summer has not been dry enough to try something like tha.beside it's a gorgeous area and I"d rather walk it. That area burnt to the ground back in 82.I mean to the ground too.There are still some areas bck there that are virtually treeless where the entire root systems were burnt out.You don't get any wilder in the pines then in the heart of the area this road goes through.A very low wet area with many nice spungs and cripples with small islands galore tucked into thick young pines now but back then it was a moonscape.I believe that fire actually jumped the Mullica at one point.The fire across 206 I believe was late 90's and left a lot of standing dead trees still standing today.The 82 fire east of 206 burnt em to the ground.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Al, as I walked down the road I had to get around 20 water hazards, however it was quite easy to do so. I didn't have go into the water far before it was up to the top of my boots. I believe many of those puddles are at least two feet deep. The third picture in the original post is a side road I followed into the grassy area. It was like walking down the middle of a stream. I had to stop when the water came to the top of map boots

IMG_3639.JPG

An old road I use as a go around

IMG_3674.JPG

Same road as above

IMG_3685.JPG

Same road as 3rd picture in original post

IMG_3687.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That area is gorgeous.Have to get out there this fall maybe or winter.I have walked several roads in that area that were mid thigh deep.Even in the driest of years the one you were on is a challenge to drive without needing to be yanked out by the guy in the 5 ton.I"ve never had to use Him but I have seen him hauling people out of there before.never saw the fun in making a Swamp Monster out of my transportation.I"ve been stuck while on foot as well but so far have managed to get myself out.Have had a couple of scary episodes though and have read about a few others that have had them as well on this forum:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ron, I missed the request in between the photos. Yes, your Master-Naturalist relative is correct. It is Ludwigia linearis (Narrow-leaf primrose), a rare pine barren plant. They have been found before in that area. My friend Mark had pointed them out to me a few years ago.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
That whole area south of Atsion is beautiful. I've walked it a few times, but would never drive it. When the weather turns cooler I'll have to give it a go. Nice pictures, as usual. Thanks for posting.