Seeking historical background on lower Mullica river life, mid-18th century

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Anyone know of any diarists who wrote about traveling in the area around the time of the Revolution?

Mark, I remember something about an itinerant preacher who kept a diary of sorts. Don't know if the Mullica area was part of his writings, but I think so. Vickers Fithian or some such?

Whoops....just found the source, but still, I thought he traveled to east jersey too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Vickers_Fithian

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks, Bob! I found one of a Quaker evangelist named Joshua Evans who lived in Gloucester approx. 1740-1798, but it turns out to be 95% religious in content. I also found the journal of Thomas Hopkins who managed a salt works called "Friendship" that was probably located near Absecon. Interesting vignettes of life in a salt works ca. 1780, but other than that not much useful. I'll search about for Fithian and see what else I can find.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Came upon this in Fithian's diary...

[ANDREW HUNTER, SR., TO PHILIP FITHIAN.]
COHANSIE Febx ro 1 . 11 1772.

SIR.

I am very sorry that I have the melancholy occasion
to inform you of something that will try all the religion
and fortitude you have, to bear up under it. I need
not keep you in longer suspence, your Parents are both
dead; your mother 1 the 2<? and your Father the 8 l . h of
this instant. We can find no will, and therefore you
are the only person that hath a right to administer, you
must come as soon as possible for all must lie as it is
till you come. I have inclosed thirty shillings to pay
your expence by Stage, I hope you will be down next
week, my love to Andrew.

Yours, &c.

ANDREW HUNTER.

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
My goal is to be able to synthesize a believable portrait of the times.

That's an impressive sentence. Please let me know when you put out a book. I'd like to reserve a copy....lol

Regarding the Southern Bank of the Lower Mullica: sadly, so very little is known about what could be described as one of the majour crucibles within which the future state of New Jersey was forged. Chestnut Neck and the Forks (on the Northern Bank) played an invaluable and perhaps indispensable rôle in the war for American Independence, yet beyond our local historical circles, so little is known of the area or it's history. Once a year in October, Gary Giberson and the Somers Point chapter of SAR trot over to the monument on route 9 to commemorate the 'battle' of Chestnut Neck, and maybe two more people are made aware of the Lower Mullica River Basin's glorious history. It deserves far more attention.

I'd caution my fellow researchers to regard with skepticism any data found between the covers of 19th or early 20th century books such as Heston's Annals, the works of Leah Blackman or Frank Taylor's Notes On Old Gloucester County, because, in my opinion, they are replete with errors and bad history. Not to discount the invaluable information such sources 'do' contain.

Quite frankly? Absegami Yesteryear was less 'authored' by Boucher than 'compiled' by Boucher because it is little more than a repackaging of selected passages from out-of-print works on New Jersey now on the Public Domain, garnished with a few photographs culled from the archives of the Atlantic County heritage Centre.

However, John E Pearce's 'Heart of the Pines' is a work based entirely upon the author's original research and interviews, and is worth every penny of it's $60 price tag. Reading Mr Pearce's book, I learned more about my 2nd great grandparents Charles Leek and Lucretia Applegate Leek than I did from my own family. It even contained a picture of Lucretia I had never seen.

I see there is much serious-minded interest in rediscovering the glories of Mullica River History here on njpinebarrens.com. Perhaps, together, working in cooperation, we can bring that history back to life to be appreciated by future generations.

Kind regards,

JerseyG
Galloway, NJ

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'd caution my fellow researchers to regard with skepticism any data found between the covers of 19th or early 20th century books such as Heston's Annals, the works of Leah Blackman or Frank Taylor's Notes On Old Gloucester County, because, in my opinion, they are replete with errors and bad history. Not to discount the invaluable information such sources 'do' contain.

That's great insight, JerseyG, and I appreciate it. I've dredged up most of those sources at this point, and I'm picking and choosing what seems most reliable. Generally they either all agree because they are repeating the same tale from the same earlier sources, or they are wildly divergent and leave you guessing as to which, if any of them, has the tale right.

With all the recommendations for Pearce I will definitely get a copy. It's worth the drive down to Batsto, since the copies I can find online all range from $150 - $300.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
BTW, a very oft-repeated claim is that Clark's Landing was founded by a Captain James Clarke , and this claim can be traced back to Heston, as far as I can tell. However, he gave no source for his claim. I've searched in vain for any further information on this James Clarke.

Pierce in "Iron in the Pines" states that Clark's Landing was founded by Thomas and Hannah Clark, parents of Elisha, who went on to become so prominent in Pleasant Mills. That gentleman was the owner of a sawmill and gristmill, and builder of "Clark's Little Log Meeting House". Does that ring true?

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Pierce in "Iron in the Pines" states that Clark's Landing was founded by Thomas and Hannah Clark, parents of Elisha, who went on to become so prominent in Pleasant Mills. That gentleman was the owner of a sawmill and gristmill, and builder of "Clark's Little Log Meeting House". Does that ring true?

The history of Clarks Landing and the Clark family from the time of Thomas Sr and Hannah (his second wife) is well-established. My family has been intermarrying with the Clarks for generations, and my 3rd great aunt, Mary G*iber*son, is buried along side her patriot husband, Thomas (a grandson of Thomas Sr and Hannah) at the Clarks Mills burying ground in Port Republic.

I will be launching a new Galloway History Website soon, and will write an 'updated' history of the Clarks of Clarks Landing, and the two Clarks Mills. Thomas's in Galloway, and Elijah's in Burlington.

I have not found anything to corroborate Heston's assertion that a Captain James Clark was making trips from Clarks Landing to New York in the late 17th century, however, I have a particular interest in pursuing this matter, as I would very much like to prove this James Clark existed, as this would make Clarks Landing the oldest place of European Settlement on the South bank of the Mullica. Clarks Landing was once part of Galloway, so you can understand, as a proud 7th generation Galloway Township resident, historian and genealogist why I'd like to establish such a fact...lol

Regards,

JerseyG

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
The history of Clarks Landing and the Clark family from the time of Thomas Sr and Hannah (his second wife) is well-established. My family has been intermarrying with the Clarks for generations, and my 3rd great aunt, Mary G*iber*son, is buried along side her patriot husband, Thomas (a grandson of Thomas Sr and Hannah) at the Clarks Mills burying ground in Port Republic.

Trying to piece this all together is incredibly fun, and also frustrating sometimes :). This sort of information helps immensely. Where exactly was Clark's landing? Pierce describes it as seven miles below Pleasant Mills, about halfway to the mouth of the river. I see a Clark's Landing Rd. but it doesn't run off toward the river. I guess the river probably moved around some over the centuries. If Pierce's assertion that there were "40 dwellings" there in 1718 is correct it must have been a substantial place. I buy that number if Clark's Landing and Lower Bank are one and the same. Pierce sort of implies that they are. He claims Eric Mullica established a settlement at Lower Bank in 1645, and then later when discussing Elisha Clark's birthplace (at Clark's Landing) he describes it as the place of "earliest white settlement" on the Mullica. I have conflicting information on Mr. Mullica as well. Various sources call the original discoverer of the river "John Mullica" and claim an "Eric Mullica" or "Mollica" came along later and founded Mullica Hill. Pierce doesn't name a John Mullica at all and puts Eric on the scene earlier than the other sources.

I will be launching a new Galloway History Website soon, and will write an 'updated' history of the Clarks of Clarks Landing, and the two Clarks Mills. Thomas's in Galloway, and Elijah's in Burlington.

I'll look forward to checking that out!

I have not found anything to corroborate Heston's assertion that a Captain James Clark was making trips from Clarks Landing to New York in the late 17th century, however, I have a particular interest in pursuing this matter, as I would very much like to prove this James Clark existed, as this would make Clarks Landing the oldest place of European Settlement on the South bank of the Mullica. Clarks Landing was once part of Galloway, so you can understand, as a proud 7th generation Galloway Township resident, historian and genealogist why I'd like to establish such a fact...lol

Regards,

JerseyG

I also haven't seen anything about a Capt. James Clark. I'll keep an eye out. The New Jersey Archives has decent information about maritime activity in that area in the mid-to-late 18th century, but I think we'd only hear of a late 17th century vessel if something bad happened to it, or it did something notable.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Clark's Landing was on the south side of the river, here: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.57364162943244&lng=-74.54197883605957&z=16&type=nj1930&gpx=

Budd Wilson shares your skepticism about there being 40 dwellings there in 1718, but who knows? An interesting fact I found out is that Clark's Landing was at one time one of the biggest slave plantations in South Jersey.

As for Mullica himself, where did you read of this "John Mullica"? In any event, if you do get a copy of Heart of the Pines, you will be treated to some excellent information that clears up the mistaken claim that Mullica settled at Lower Bank in 1645. The fact is that he settled there around 50 years later.

Trying to piece this all together is incredibly fun, and also frustrating sometimes :). This sort of information helps immensely. Where exactly was Clark's landing? Pierce describes it as seven miles below Pleasant Mills, about halfway to the mouth of the river. I see a Clark's Landing Rd. but it doesn't run off toward the river. I guess the river probably moved around some over the centuries. If Pierce's assertion that there were "40 dwellings" there in 1718 is correct it must have been a substantial place. I buy that number if Clark's Landing and Lower Bank are one and the same. Pierce sort of implies that they are. He claims Eric Mullica established a settlement at Lower Bank in 1645, and then later when discussing Elisha Clark's birthplace (at Clark's Landing) he describes it as the place of "earliest white settlement" on the Mullica. I have conflicting information on Mr. Mullica as well. Various sources call the original discoverer of the river "John Mullica" and claim an "Eric Mullica" or "Mollica" came along later and founded Mullica Hill. Pierce doesn't name a John Mullica at all and puts Eric on the scene earlier than the other sources.

I'll look forward to checking that out!

I also haven't seen anything about a Capt. James Clark. I'll keep an eye out. The New Jersey Archives has decent information about maritime activity in that area in the mid-to-late 18th century, but I think we'd only hear of a late 17th century vessel if something bad happened to it, or it did something notable.

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
the beach at the end of hay rd off of clarks landing road is the area I have always heard called "clarks landing". It is directly across from the hog islands in the mullica. Good early season striper fishing from there. Some guys call it the "horse farm" based on the old horse farm at the intersection of hay rd and clarks landing rd. Hay rd is unpaved but easily passable in any car. the loop at the end of the road has some deep sand.
upstream from there where san francisco ave ends at landing creek is a spot I know as gloucester landing. that road can be more challenging

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Clark's Landing was on the south side of the river, here: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.57364162943244&lng=-74.54197883605957&z=16&type=nj1930&gpx=

Budd Wilson shares your skepticism about there being 40 dwellings there in 1718, but who knows? An interesting fact I found out is that Clark's Landing was at one time one of the biggest slave plantations in South Jersey.

As for Mullica himself, where did you read of this "John Mullica"? In any event, if you do get a copy of Heart of the Pines, you will be treated to some excellent information that clears up the mistaken claim that Mullica settled at Lower Bank in 1645. The fact is that he settled there around 50 years later.

Ah, ok. That location at the end of Hay Rd. was my best guess for a spot on the south bank. 1695 makes a lot more sense for the settlement of Clark's Landing... but wouldn't that make Eric Mullica a little old to be the person who discovered the river sometime in the first half of the century?

As for "John Mullica", this is from the "Daily Union History of Atlantic County" by John Hall..

THE first settlement in what is now known as Atlantic County was made at Chestnut Neck on the west bank of the Mullica river near where the village of Port Republic is now located. In 1637 John Mullica sailed up the river that took his name, landing at Chestnut Neck, Green Bank, and Sweetwater, now Pleasant Mills. From thence he journeyed across country to Mullica Hill where he settled, lived, and died. The river and the town still bear the name of the first explorer of this section of New Jersey. He reported the country a vast wilderness inhabited by Indians the forest luxuriant in wild grapes and nuts the waters teeming with fish geese ducks and sea birds Here on the beach sands the sea birds laid their eggs and reared their young. The presence of large numbers of eggs gave the place the name of Egg Harbor in after years.

The story is repeated in "The New Jersey Coast In Three Centuries... Vol. 2" by Ross and Headley...

Port Republic, a village of three hundred inhabitants on the west bank of the Mullica River, is in near proximity to Chestnut Neck, which was the scene of important events in Colonial and Revolutionary times. There was made the first settlement in what is now known as Atlantic county in 1637 when John Mullica sailed up the river which took his name, and became the division line between the Provinces of East and West Jersey. Many families of the present day are descended from the Quaker colony which was formed there about that time under William Penn.

"John Mullica" is also mentioned in another book I don't have a copy of, "Eric Mullica and His Descendants: A Swedish Pioneer in New Jersey..." by Charles Jolly Werner. So perhaps it is the other way around: Eric Mullica discovered the river in the first half of the century, and John Mullica founded Lower Bank in the second half?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Eric Mullica didn't discover the river in 1645. He was simply one of the first (if not the first) white to settle along the river, and that wasn't until 1695ish.

Hall's information is to be disregarded.

Ah, ok. That location at the end of Hay Rd. was my best guess for a spot on the south bank. 1695 makes a lot more sense for the settlement of Clark's Landing... but wouldn't that make Eric Mullica a little old to be the person who discovered the river sometime in the first half of the century?

As for "John Mullica", this is from the "Daily Union History of Atlantic County" by John Hall..

THE first settlement in what is now known as Atlantic County was made at Chestnut Neck on the west bank of the Mullica river near where the village of Port Republic is now located. In 1637 John Mullica sailed up the river that took his name, landing at Chestnut Neck, Green Bank, and Sweetwater, now Pleasant Mills. From thence he journeyed across country to Mullica Hill where he settled, lived, and died. The river and the town still bear the name of the first explorer of this section of New Jersey. He reported the country a vast wilderness inhabited by Indians the forest luxuriant in wild grapes and nuts the waters teeming with fish geese ducks and sea birds Here on the beach sands the sea birds laid their eggs and reared their young. The presence of large numbers of eggs gave the place the name of Egg Harbor in after years.

The story is repeated in "The New Jersey Coast In Three Centuries... Vol. 2" by Ross and Headley...

Port Republic, a village of three hundred inhabitants on the west bank of the Mullica River, is in near proximity to Chestnut Neck, which was the scene of important events in Colonial and Revolutionary times. There was made the first settlement in what is now known as Atlantic county in 1637 when John Mullica sailed up the river which took his name, and became the division line between the Provinces of East and West Jersey. Many families of the present day are descended from the Quaker colony which was formed there about that time under William Penn.

"John Mullica" is also mentioned in another book I don't have a copy of, "Eric Mullica and His Descendants: A Swedish Pioneer in New Jersey..." by Charles Jolly Werner. So perhaps it is the other way around: Eric Mullica discovered the river in the first half of the century, and John Mullica founded Lower Bank in the second half?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Interesting. So there was no connection between Eric Mullica and the discovery of the river? I assume not, because if he settled around 1695, then I think by that time there were already Scotch Quakers around Leeds Pt. and Pleasant Mills, right?. My tale doesn't hinge on getting these early periods right, but now I'm intrigued.

I'm going to be driving down to Batsto this weekend, I think, to grab a copy of Pearce's book.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Daniel Leeds is said to have "located land" in the area that would come to bear his surname in 1694. It is said that he surveyed said land in 1698, so I'm guessing he finally settled there around then, or sometime soon thereafter. That said, Leeds Point is not on the river proper, but rather on a tongue of land that is straddled by the marshes of Great Bay.

The Scots of Pleasant Mills (Presbyterians) didn't settle there until the first decade of the 18th century.

So, as far as records go, it seems that Mullica was the first to settle along the river. But I'd also love to find if there is any truth to Heston's claim about Captain James Clarke.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
MarkB said:
Great Egg Harbor river is behind Ocean City. Funny, it looks smaller on the map than the Little Egg Harbor River.

For purposes of clarification, the terms 'great' and 'little' were originally applied to the size of the eggs found along the shores of the bays. The Little Egg Harbor River (Mullica) is in fact the larger of the two rivers.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Daniel Leeds is said to have "located land" in the area that would come to bear his surname in 1694. It is said that he surveyed said land in 1698, so I'm guessing he finally settled there around then, or sometime soon thereafter. That said, Leeds Point is not on the river proper, but rather on a tongue of land that is straddled by the marshes of Great Bay.

The Scots of Pleasant Mills (Presbyterians) didn't settle there until the first decade of the 18th century.

So, as far as records go, it seems that Mullica was the first to settle along the river. But I'd also love to find if there is any truth to Heston's claim about Captain James Clarke.

I had 1689 in my head for some reason, but 1698 seems correct for the Leeds. Pierce places the arrival of the first white settlers at Nescochague in 1707. He implies that they were offshoots of those who fled Charles II's war against the Kirk and arrived in the southern counties after Penn took control of West Jersey... mid-1680's I think.

Pierce also repeats the 1645 date for Eric Mullica's first trip up the river. That would have been something like 7-8 years after the first Swedish colonization on the lower Delaware, correct? That date doesn't seem impossible if Mullica was a Swede. Has it been reliably discounted? Seems strange that nobody would have been up that river in 50 years.

Where'd you read that tale about the sizes of the eggs? That's neat :).