Shipwrecks and the remains of the wharf at Herman City

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
your getting me intersted in diving NJ

Herman city was totally amazing, the strata was amazing moosy super cute as usual and all the ruins very cool thanks so much for sharing your knowlege and favorite places :) and im interested is the batso pond still there??? Have we seen it??????? if its there lets continue after ecambell and dive it!!!!!!!!! i wonder what kind of permits we would need but what the others were saying about the murky water is no joke even dives in the ocean off the jersey coast the visibilty stinks

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Sue,

At least you tried to find the wrecks. A noble pursuit! Where did you look for them?

Finding them wasn't a problem! I went out on several dives but the boat captain would never let me dive because I tend to pass out when I am seasick. I am a champeen puker! :dance: Last time I went out, I almost made it, I stood up to walk toward the edge of the boat when I passed out cold, denting the boat deck with my tanks. The captain was very cordial to me, considering. Oops. The only dive I've done in NJ is the Manasquan river RR bridge. Great, interesting, but SO VERY shallow. One doesn't really need scuba gear, you could probably get away with a really long straw.
I have made attempts at Texas Tower, The Stolt and the Resor, to name a couple. Sadly, my stupid inner ears have limited my adventures. I have been invited to participate in fantastic marine research projects such as tagging tiger sharks in NC, but I had to decline. Excruciating, since I am a biologist, and that sort of thing really gets my blood going. Ah, well. All of my dives have been in calm, tropical waters. Not that I am complaining or anything!

I need an ear transplant. :)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Great story, pinelandpaddler. I have never done any river diving, or anything more visibility-challenged than some wrecks off of Barnegat where the sand was blowing around. Most of my diving was done in the Caribbean, where you can see forever. My hat's off to you.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Sue, what is there to see at the Manasquan River bridge?
LOTS of juvenile fish and cone snails, horseshoe crabs, starfish, sponges and barnacles. I tend to like the teeny things, the little tiny blennies that hide in crevices and shrimp. The RR bridge is covered and teeming with life. If you are a macro photographer, it's a great spot.
I went there with the Jenkinson aquarium staff to collect specimens, and we caught our goal in pretty much the first five minutes!

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Today I revisited Hermann City during a blow-out tide.

I finally got to see the shipwrecks that have lied half-buried beneath the mud for over 150 years. Here is one of them:

DSC00621.JPG

Another wreck:

DSC00622.JPG

A closer look:

DSC00613.JPG

Another angle:

DSC00618.JPG

Notice the ballast rock that was still on the boat when it sunk:

DSC00617.JPG

Pilings from the moorings at Hermann:

DSC00619.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Gabe,

They were not showing up again so I fixed them. Make sure I have the correct photo's displaying.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Gabe,
Fantastic shots!!! To know the wrecks exist is one thing, to see them first off is a whole other. I would have loved to reach out and just touch those old timbers. What tales must go with that wreck and it's time under sail.
Thanks for the great angles and fine shots of something one doesn't get to see every day.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Great shots Gabe!! I have been to Herman city a bunch of times and have seen the remains but never like that! Very cool, I didn't realize that much was left.

Jeff