Shop keeper wanted; must love Pine Barrens

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If I owned it, I'd try real hard to bring it back to the little luncheonette that Buzby had going. I'd enhance it with historical photos on the wall. Would never make a killing, but it would be a neat place. Lucille's #2.

Time1865

Dec 4, 2011
Only one Lucille's. lol A gem in the Pines. She also has a steady flow of traffic. Something lacking through Chatsworth.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
T65,

I am glad you agree that it would be silly to tear down valued architecture for redevelopment like in Richland Village. Do you see the folly in redevelopment expenditures in my village, where nearly $4-million has been spent in project infrastructure so far, with another $8-million (~$4-million each) once-planned in now-stalled road and sewer plant construction (30,000 gallons/day and 70,000 gallons/day) outlay?

Screen shot 2016-01-11 at 11.15.38 PM.png

Could you imagine what might have been accomplished had that same amount of money gone towards the conservation of treasured Pinelands structures like Buzby’s?

S-M

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Only one Lucille's. lol A gem in the Pines. She also has a steady flow of traffic. Something lacking through Chatsworth.
The hot dog spot does a good seasonal business. There is nothing food related around there in the off season. As I recall, the problem at Buzby's was the café management Marilyn had contracted with.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I just don't think this is a viable business anymore. Gregorios, the little place I mentioned a year ago in this thread is still closed. Meanwhile, Belco Liquors which is right across the street just finished a big renovation that tripled its size.

Time1865

Dec 4, 2011
The Hedger House couldn't make a go of it and they had food and a liquor license. You need a steady, year round, customer base. Not the ones that drop in once a year or the ones who stop in to talk and tell you what a wonderful place it is. And the buy nothing. Feeling warm and fuzzy about a place does not pay the bills. I really don't see the store moving anywhere that price. More like $300,00. That's not a put down, just the reality of running a business.

Time1865

Dec 4, 2011
Another legend of the Pines has pasted. Lucille died last night I just was told. Her smiling face will be missed by all. God bless her and her family.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Another legend of the Pines has pasted. Lucille died last night I just was told. Her smiling face will be missed by all. God bless her and her family.

Sorry to hear that. Is there anyone who will take over the business since her daughter is not around?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When my wife wins the Mega Millions (since I don't play) I will buy it and see if I can make money.

At that point who cares if you make money. You will have more than anyone could ever need. More than most countries.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I would love a chance to try and turn a profit there and I think I could. The sad part is, unless someone is independently wealthy it's unlikely that anyone will chance the roof over their head to own and operate it:(