Shoreline Challenge

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Pertinent to our state, and a very interesting gift article you can read. New Jersey shores will last longer, but maybe not forever. The one person in the article bought his dream home on the edge of the ocean in 2021(!!!). What was he thinking?

"Along this imperiled street, as elsewhere in Rodanthe, some homeowners want local, state or federal authorities to intervene with beach nourishment projects or other measures. So far, officials have demurred, saying the cost-benefit analysis doesn’t work because of Rodanthe’s small tax base and the fact that the erosion is so relentless"

So watch what happens to LBI in 20 years. The rich will pester the state of NJ to help them.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Another one goes in the drink.
Took my family there in the 1990's. Kill Devil Hills. When we hit the beach it was shocking to see many summer homes were raised on pilings with their feet in the water at high tide. I said to myself: "this is not going to be good years from now". Well, here we are.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Took my family there in the 1990's. Kill Devil Hills. When we hit the beach it was shocking to see many summer homes were raised on pilings with their feet in the water at high tide. I said to myself: "this is not going to be good years from now". Well, here we are.
My grandfather built a house in Kitty Hawk in the ‘80’s on the sound side. I spent a lot of time down there years ago. The ocean has been claiming homes down there constantly. Rodanthe has been losing and moving homes a lot in the last decade. There is no way I’d have a home on the beach down there

Reactions: Teegate

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Pertinent to our state, and a very interesting gift article you can read. New Jersey shores will last longer, but maybe not forever. The one person in the article bought his dream home on the edge of the ocean in 2021(!!!). What was he thinking?

"Along this imperiled street, as elsewhere in Rodanthe, some homeowners want local, state or federal authorities to intervene with beach nourishment projects or other measures. So far, officials have demurred, saying the cost-benefit analysis doesn’t work because of Rodanthe’s small tax base and the fact that the erosion is so relentless"

So watch what happens to LBI in 20 years. The rich will pester the state of NJ to help them.

This always amazes me. I did an insurance survey for several homes in LBI a couple weeks ago. Some of these homes sit 300-500 feet from both the ocean and the bay. And their elevation is 5 feet or less. Yet the houses I inspected were new constructions that were several million dollars each. I talked to one of the guys at the insurance company and (sarcastically) asked, "why do they do it?". His answer.....? Because it is beautiful there. Hmmmm.

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This always amazes me. I did an insurance survey for several homes in LBI a couple weeks ago. Some of these homes sit 300-500 feet from both the ocean and the bay. And their elevation is 5 feet or less. Yet the houses I inspected were new constructions that were several million dollars each. I talked to one of the guys at the insurance company and (sarcastically) asked, "why do they do it?". His answer.....? Because it is beautiful there. Hmmmm.
I suppose the insurance for those homes is pretty high?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I suppose the insurance for those homes is pretty high?
Oh yeah. Not only is their home owners policy a lot they have to add flood insurance on top of that. It does not seem to be a big deal to them, but it is all relative. They buy a 10 year old home for 5 million, tear it down because it is not what they want and then spend another 5 million to build something new. So I am sure they are paying thousands in insurance. And don't forget the property tax!

These shore communities have the lowest tax RATES around, but when you consider the property value, a tax bill of $30,000 a year is not unheard of!

Reactions: bobpbx