Short Explore In Penn Swamp

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
First, we saw a car that had driven into the woods after running off of Jackson Road. It was semi far in there. It was right after a curve before the dragway. I will find it in my dash cam even though I don't think you can see it.

Then we found this on Quaker Bridge Road by the stone bridge. Had to move it out of the road.

IMG_9676a.jpg

We found the stone for a property on Atsion road years ago and today we found a replacement monument for the Wharton survey of it. Don't know how I missed it the first time.

IMG_9674a.jpg

We are going to explore Penn Swamp throughout the summer taking sections at a time.

IMG_9678a.jpg

Don't know what this is.
IMG_9672a.jpg

DSC_6285a.jpg

A little depressing to see phragmites growing in the swamp area.

IMG_9681a.jpg

Jessica in the distance

DSC_6284a.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That may not be phragmites Guy. It may be a grass named Saccharum giganteum (sugarcane plumegrass).

Did you see the normal Phragmite seed heads?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That may not be phragmites Guy. It may be a grass named Saccharum giganteum (sugarcane plumegrass).

Did you see the normal Phragmite seed heads?

Not sure. I just thought they were Phragmites. They looked like the same ones you said were growing in that concrete outhouse foundation I found in Lebanon years ago.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Not sure. I just thought they were Phragmites. They looked like the same ones you said were growing in that concrete outhouse foundation I found in Lebanon years ago.
Yeah, maybe I'm wrong on both counts. Seriously. I always want an inflorescence for an ID, it's dangerous to wing it without one.