Short Pinelands Documentary

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Awesome! However I do not worry about Green Treefrogs replacing PB Treefrogs as their habitats are vastly different.Greens really love reed marshes fresh and brackish where I have never found PB Treefrogs in reeds,they prefer acidic bogs that are often mainly cedar though the fact that it's a bog seems to be more important then what type of trees are growing in it.
Are you the narrator as well?
Have noticed brackish water intrusion up streams into the Bear swamp for several hundred yards now beyond where marsh ended and swamp started when I was a kid.Places that used to be freshwater creek through a maple swamp are now brackish and filled with Phragmites.

Reactions: Menantico

Greg Fischer

Feb 27, 2019
Marmora, NJ
Thanks! I agree that it is unlikely for Green treefrogs to replace Pine Barrens treefrogs (for now at least, but increased precipitation caused by climate change threatens to eventually increase pH). But it is possible for them to replace Cope's/Eastern Gray treefrogs, since they share freshwater habitats and the same ecological niche.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks! I agree that it is unlikely for Green treefrogs to replace Pine Barrens treefrogs (for now at least, but increased precipitation caused by climate change threatens to eventually increase pH). But it is possible for them to replace Cope's/Eastern Gray treefrogs, since they share freshwater habitats and the same ecological niche.
I know many places down here in Cumberland county where you can hear Northern Greys and Copes calling in the same place. Greys are virtually everywhere but the Copes seem to favor strictly wet areas.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Greg, I liked the video. A few years ago I brought up the possibility of green treefrog/PBTF competition and it turned into a good and informative discussion. See the link below:

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/pbtf-and-green-tree-frog-range-overlap.9947/

Also, I don't know anything about the hybridization between Southern (Cope's) gray treefrog and the green treefrog, but I don't know if the Northern gray treefrog (Hyla versicolor) will readily hybridize, because it has 4 sets of chromosomes (tetraploid) vs. the 2 sets that other species of Hyla have. I think in theory it can happen, but not sure how readily it happens in the wild.