Show Me The Pink!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Went on some historically inquisitive hikes a couple days ago with a friend of mine but before we got started with the serious work out Cumberland way we decided to hit a known Swamp Pink location of his. The first location only found a couple of winter mangled rosettes but the second location was a big score.He said the second location always blooms sooner then the first location we went to and so it has So I"ll start off with a few Pinks we found.There may have been thirty or so we saw in maybe a hundred square foot area.

then we headed for Cumberland and went to an old Homestead?Hunting Club we are not sure which.I knew of the foundations but my friend said He had found an old well at the clearings edge and so he had.i had walked right by this well on numerous occasions in the past and never seen it. Here it is.

We then went to visit a bog that He had tried to access from the north in the past and could not get to it.I knew from personal experience these were some bad ass woods but blissfully had forgotten just how bad.He was turned back last summer form the shear viciousness of the Smilax intertwined in dense laurel.This time we made it after much loss of blood. Here is the bog

And to finish it off with a few HDR's. Two are from the magical Beaver pond (It may not be a beaver pond,no dam and the history of this place is one thing we're investigating. And the other is from the first Pink location that didn't pan out. I am going to post a historical query in a day or so to see if we can get some info from our historical experts on the site.There are some mysteries down Manumuskin way and sad to say my namesake is still hiding some things from me.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
PS. We have hopes of finding Curly Grass fern at the bog.If we do that would be only the second known location in Cumberland County.Are waiting for warmer water so we can take the plunge to get to the small islands in the bogs center.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Al, would I have visited this area with you and your friend a few years ago? I feel that I may have.....don't know whether it's the description of the smilax wall or searching for curly grass that reminded me.... at any rate, this is wonderful to hear that you are feeling better and beating the bush again. I've missed your in depth trip reports..... :) the photos are wonderful. Turtle

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, would I have visited this area with you and your friend a few years ago? I feel that I may have.....don't know whether it's the description of the smilax wall or searching for curly grass that reminded me.... at any rate, this is wonderful to hear that you are feeling better and beating the bush again. I've missed your in depth trip reports..... :) the photos are wonderful. Turtle
No Turtle.Both places were new to me and both down here in Cumberland County.Evey time I"ve went walking with you was up your way. Are you still getting out in the woods regular?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
videos.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Try this link Guy. I don't think I had published it but it let me watch it from the forum.maybe because it's my video.I noticed the publish button was still lit up so i clicked it and it said the video was now published.Hope it works now.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Al, I was at Manumuskin Preserve with you on a trip to see the "big trees" and on another you may have not been on. Passed some swamp pink down there on the second trip..... I am getting in the woods regular (my hang time has dropped a bit but I'm working on it)....and you? How's the foot? I look forward to catching up with you.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Heel spurs are in remission right now. Am having my second trigger finger operation in less then a year next month but that doesn't affect my walking.
Are you sure the "big trees' weren't in Bear swamp? I know of no big trees in manumuskin preserve but there are many in bear swamp.I think I remember you being on a plant hike in the swamp the day I met Johnny B.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Turtle, did you go on the PBC trip when we walked through the water above our knees? That was in the area with Schizaea pusilla and Helonias bullata across the street.

Xhunter911

Mar 6, 2016
NJ
Is that the old homestead off Union road?

Went on some historically inquisitive hikes a couple days ago with a friend of mine but before we got started with the serious work out Cumberland way we decided to hit a known Swamp Pink location of his. The first location only found a couple of winter mangled rosettes but the second location was a big score.He said the second location always blooms sooner then the first location we went to and so it has So I"ll start off with a few Pinks we found.There may have been thirty or so we saw in maybe a hundred square foot area.

then we headed for Cumberland and went to an old Homestead?Hunting Club we are not sure which.I knew of the foundations but my friend said He had found an old well at the clearings edge and so he had.i had walked right by this well on numerous occasions in the past and never seen it. Here it is.

We then went to visit a bog that He had tried to access from the north in the past and could not get to it.I knew from personal experience these were some bad ass woods but blissfully had forgotten just how bad.He was turned back last summer form the shear viciousness of the Smilax intertwined in dense laurel.This time we made it after much loss of blood. Here is the bog

And to finish it off with a few HDR's. Two are from the magical Beaver pond (It may not be a beaver pond,no dam and the history of this place is one thing we're investigating. And the other is from the first Pink location that didn't pan out. I am going to post a historical query in a day or so to see if we can get some info from our historical experts on the site.There are some mysteries down Manumuskin way and sad to say my namesake is still hiding some things from me.

Xhunter911

Mar 6, 2016
NJ
I was n where near Union Road.Why? Do you have a Pink location out there some where? I know of quite a few old homesteads out Union Road way.

I've hunted out in that WMA off Union rd many times and know that old homestead near the swamp.. I was just curious that's all