Shreve Branch - An Attempt to Revisit

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Well; my outing in the Pines today didn't go as planned. It hasn't been the first time. My objective was to explore a portion of the Shreve Branch where I had discovered remnants of several old corduroy roads and bridge foundations on my last visit back in April of 2011. First I had to transverse the dike at Long Causeway to the far end, crossing two chiclet bridges, and then follow a road leading to the south side of Shreve Branch. At that point I had to bushwhack in toward the stream. I tried four access points, but failed on all. The catbrier must have grown tenfold since my last visit 7 years ago. The stuff got the best of me. I was disappointed that I couldn't revisit those old structures today. When I find an old structure made by man that can go back 100 to 150 years ago, I pause and think awhile what took place back when. And a very few get to see it today.

Once I got down to business trying to bust my way through catbrier, my camera gets lost in my pocket; therefore I didn't take as many photos as usual. But I believe I have enough to make this post somewhat interesting. The last three photos were taken back in 2011, which I didn't get a chance to revisit today.

In the end, a day in the Pines, is always a good day.

Looking out toward the reservoir at Long Causeway.
IMG_7753.JPG

Hey Bob, I need an ID I believe this is a rush in the genus, Juncus. The spikelet is larger and more rounded then what I've seen to date. (Not the best picture)
IMG_7763.JPG

Looking out from the right side of the reservoir back toward the dike.
IMG_7765.JPG

Another roller coaster road as I mentioned in my previous post. You just can't get the right perspective.
IMG_7768.JPG

At one access point I was able to bypass the catbrier, but I didn't want to go in here,
IMG_7774.JPG

The Chiclet Bridge. It's letting water from the reservoir to pass through the dike and into an old cranberry bog. See the Chiclets?
IMG_7781.JPG

An old weir. It was to regulate the flow of water from the reservoir into the bogs. Only the chiclet bridges are used today that this location.
IMG_7787.JPG

This photo and the next two is what I wanted to see today, They were taken on April 20, 2011.
Pinelands-Shreve Br. Apr 2011 038.jpg

Pinelands-Shreve Br. Apr 2011 039.jpg

Pinelands-Shreve Br. Apr 2011 046.jpg

T

Toothy Critter

Is that the spillway on Baptist Road? Are you in Franklin Parker? If so, I always thought that section was the Shoal, that the Shreve dumped into it just upstream at the head of the tank. Please excuse me if I am wrong. And the Shoal then leads to the Haines bogs? One of my prime fishing spots . Caught my personal best there this past March.

T

Toothy Critter

They cleared the brush on the sides of Baptist Road and dumped them into the tank. Makes it difficult to get in to fish from the shoreline now.:mad: