Shreveville

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Springfield Township Historical Society presents:

“Before Smithville: Shreveville” a PowerPoint presentation by Barb Johns of Mt. Holly exploring this textile company town from brothers Jonathan Lippincott Shreve and Samuel Shreve’s lives before Shreveville to the success of the company town, its decline, and employee Samuel Semple’s move to Mount Holly with part of the business.

Barb Johns is a spinner, dyer and weaver, having earned her Certificate of Spinning from the Ontario Handweavers and Spinners guild, a 6-year course. Barb is a part-time employee with Burlington County and her work at Smithville and her textile expertise inspired her to want to learn more about Shreveville. Her research lead her to the Smithsonian Institute of American History archives, the American Textile Museum, and Boott Cotton Mills Museum in Lowell, MA.

Antique spool thread from Barb Johns’ collection. It is argued that spool thread was first manufactured in the U.S. at Shreveville.

Antique 19th and 20th century shuttles and bobbins from the textile industry from Barb Johns’ collection. At Shreveville Manufactory, they spun and wove cotton fabrics by machines powered by the Rancocas Creek.

February 17th, a Wednesday night 7:30 PM at the Municipal Building 2159 Jacksonville-Jobstown Rd. Jobstown, NJ 08041. Call Dick Toone 609-261-3415 with questions bout this free presentation. Light refreshments.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob, I believe the derelict brick building at the creek was originally part of the Shreve's water powered cotton mill in the 1840's, but the question probably could more positively be answered at the presentation. Jerseyman a lot better person to query. I do know that the mansion was built by the Shreve's, and the property later expanded by Hezekiah Smith. Ro and I were married in the gentleman's building at the rear - we wanted to get married in 1840's style clothes in the mansion first floor parlor (really a showplace) but the County would have no part of it. Still had a great ceremony and it must have worked since we're in our 31st year together...

Reactions: bobpbx