Sim Place Road

JIMBO

Scout
Mar 31, 2003
Nugentown NJ
Does anyone know why the gate is on Sim Place Road west of Warren Grove. Or who put it up. I would really like to get back there and canoe the Oswego

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
JIMBO said:
I thought Sim Place Rd Was a public R.O.W. Just wondered how they could gate it off .

Jimbo, I was there about 3 months ago, and the gate was wide open. I asked at Lucilles about it and they said since Haines purchased the property, it is open sometimes. I am curious about it. If you ever find out it is a Right of Way that should be open, please post that.........bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That gate had been crashed through this weekend when Jessica and I was there. We were at the gate near Bear Swamp Hll and it had been crashed from the other side toward us. Someone must have gotten in on the other end and did not want to turn around.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

No, it was purchased by Bill Haines as a result of a bank foreclosure.
Renee

bach2yoga said:
Renee

We had a couple come into the showroom today that are cranberry growers in Chatsworth. When I heard that I struck up a short conversation with the man. When Haines' name was mentioned (a neighbor of his) I said I heard that Haines had bought Sim Place. He told me the deal had not gone through yet.

Steve

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bach2yoga said:
Renee

We had a couple come into the showroom today that are cranberry growers in Chatsworth. When I heard that I struck up a short conversation with the man. When Haines' name was mentioned (a neighbor of his) I said I heard that Haines had bought Sim Place. He told me the deal had not gone through yet.

Steve

His attorney is handling it. He is using the same attorney as Marilyn Schmidt so he can get it at rock bottom dollar. That was a number of months ago, so I'm not sure what the bottom line is now, though according to Marilyn it was as close to a done deal, meaning he was quite determined to have it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
BEHR655 said:
The man that was in our showroom yesterday was Stephen Lee so I assume he is one of the Lee Brothers. Steve

He is also a Pinelands Commisioner Steve, has been for quite a while. He lives in Speedwell I think.............

B

bach2yoga

Yes, he lives in Speedwell.
He is the same Stephen Lee that is doing the Pines plantations.
Renee

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
HI GANG, YOU CAN REACH OWEGO BY THE BACK WAY........GO OUT SIM PLACE ROAD,BUT TAKE BEAVER DAM ROAD TO THE RIGHT........TAKE THE NEXT TWO LEFTS............ITS ALL NARROW SAND ROAD,SO DONT TAKE ANY NEW OR LARGE CARS.........ACTUALLY ITS WHAT WE USED TO CALL WAGON WIDTH.......JUST WIDE ENOUGH FOR A WAGON AND TWO HORSES..........ITS A BEAUTIFUL RIDE,STOP AT THE MEADOW AT PLAINS BRANCH..........WHAT A SCENE FOR A PHOTO........IM JUST SCARED SOME NUTS WILL TRASH THE PLACE........AND THEY WILL PROBABLY........IM A PESSIMIST.........SIM PLACE USED TO BE THE SITE OF AN OLD INDIAN VILLAGE.........HAD INDIANS THERE AND ALONG PAPPOSE BRANCH UP UNTIL THE EARLY EIGHTEEN HUNDREDS..........PICK UP ANY LITTER YOU FIND ALONG THE WAY........PRESS ON, KARL STROM JOHANNSON

ChooChooHead

May 25, 2004
Union County, NJ
Does anyone know what the industrial complex next to Sim Place Road is? I remember seeing a sign on CR 539, but I can't remember the name now. The big lake and giant tower has intrigued me the last few times I passed by.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
ChooChooHead said:
Does anyone know what the industrial complex next to Sim Place Road is? I remember seeing a sign on CR 539, but I can't remember the name now. The big lake and giant tower has intrigued me the last few times I passed by.

Thats a sand and gravel pit Choo-Choo...........whoooooooooooo! 8)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:

Yes Bob, but do you know the name of it? I sure don't, but should.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
BobM said:
Yes Bob, but do you know the name of it? I sure don't, but should. Guy

Why sure, I think its the "Gouge up and scar the earth, create a lot of noise and dust, and leave it looking like hell sand mine".

Ha!............No actually I don't know the real name.

ChooChooHead

May 25, 2004
Union County, NJ
Here's an aerial photo of the complex in question, from Oct 2000. (sorry for the watermarks - I refuse to pay, and can't afford to pay $30.00 for a service that Mapquest used to offer for free!) I agree that it doesn't belong. Industry may have been a part of the Pinelands during the Revolutionary War, but the two should not coexist today.

BTW - The Mr. Haines referred to earlier - same as Haines Bluebrries in Ongs Hat / Pemberton?

Thanks for all of your help. I really enjoy this board, and more importantly, our wonderful (if not endangered) Pinelands.