Six Day Starts Tomorrow, December 7, 2020

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The equivalent of Christmas Day for local gun clubs and individual hunters throughout the Pines and elsewhere in New Jersey, is tomorrow morning. Six-day, as it is commonly known, starts tomorrow and runs through Saturday. This will be followed by the firearm permit deer seasons for shotgun and muzzleloader which extend into February, depending on your zone.

The two clubs around the corner from me are packed right now and ready to roll. COVID be Damned ! One of them has erected a large tent, I suppose so that they can attempt to follow the current outdoor dining protocols. My friends in another local club are foregoing the nightly meals and gatherings which is a big part of the Six-day tradition.

Good luck to everyone who hunts deer on here. My wife and I will start with muzzleloader after Six-day.

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife - Six-day Firearm Season Next Week (njfishandwildlife.com)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They were everywhere today getting ready. I noticed the Indian Mills club on Atsion road also had a tent. It is closed up so I can't see how that will keep them safe.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Tomorrow is the start of NJ six-day 2021. The clubs down the street are buzzing with activity.

My older son is hunting as a guest with Clementon Gun Club tomorrow, and he is really looking forward to it. Weather doesn't look great at this point but the deer will be there.

Good luck to the hunters on here !

Reactions: MuckSavage and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was in the Pioneer Gun Club with Ted Gordon today, visiting one of the members and discussing history. They were ready to go and enjoying their time before the big day. Offered me food and drink but I declined. Learned quite a bit and reviewed old photos and got some serious tips about some interesting places and things past and present in the pines.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I was in the Pioneer Gun Club with Ted Gordon today, visiting one of the members and discussing history. They were ready to go and enjoying their time before the big day. Offered me food and drink but I declined. Learned quite a bit and reviewed old photos and got some serious tips about some interesting places and things past and present in the pines.
I guess that means we can expect some "Pine Barrens History Shorts" soon?

Reactions: MuckSavage

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess that means we can expect some "Pine Barrens History Shorts" soon?
I don't think we discussed anything that would be in that category. I did get a few tips that were interesting that Jess and I will check out in the weeks ahead. Not sure if they will pan out. One was a mention of a structure that was deep in the woods off of Carranza road years ago. It has not been there for many years so for us to find evidence is doubtful.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Driving West on Hesstown Road early yesterday morning, there was a line of regularly-spaced hunters that started at the Cumberland County line and went for nearly three miles, there were multiple vans they arrived in. Very impressive.

They were on the left (South) side of the road, which seemed a bit odd to me, because there's only about a half mile of woods before you hit private property for most of that route. Guess I'll just never understand this tradition, most of the hunters were rather old men.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Driving West on Hesstown Road early yesterday morning, there was a line of regularly-spaced hunters that started at the Cumberland County line and went for nearly three miles, there were multiple vans they arrived in. Very impressive.

They were on the left (South) side of the road, which seemed a bit odd to me, because there's only about a half mile of woods before you hit private property for most of that route. Guess I'll just never understand this tradition, most of the hunters were rather old men.
I don't understand driving. It just seems dangerous. Jessica and I got caught in one many years back and had to turn around and lay low.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Today, for the third time this week, I saw hunters staked out along 539 waiting for the drivers to drive deer towards them, or towards an auto going 60 miles per hour. This is just foolish and it should be outlawed. They should always drive away from a hard road.

Reactions: ninemileskid

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I don't understand driving. It just seems dangerous. Jessica and I got caught in one many years back and had to turn around and lay low.
Clementon Gun Club is a very safety conscious club and run by some very educated and dedicated people. One of their main woods captains is a college friend of mine. They strive to have as many standers as possible in trees so that much of the shooting is toward the ground. I am not aware of any accidents there and I have hunted with them several times over the years when my sons were very young. Driving can be done safely when safety is preached continuously.

The club goes out of their way to encourage the kids because they are the future of their club. My neighbor is a member and I have known him since he was 2. He is now 35 and on youth day he took his 4-year-old daughter on her first deer drives. She's hooked !

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Scott do you know how many Rosedale took.?
I stood across the street Sunday morn drinkin my coffee and counting but had to go a bit.
Came back and all the cutting was done.

Since the combining they have grown in size and with the new club president's ruling they have become good neighbors.
Not so for many years.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott do you know how many Rosedale took.?
I stood across the street Sunday morn drinkin my coffee and counting but had to go a bit.
Came back and all the cutting was done.

Since the combining they have grown in size and with the new club president's ruling they have become good neighbors.
Not so for many years.
George, Rosedale killed 38. Clementon killed 36.

My oldest son hasn't hunted for 15 years and this year he jumped back in full bore. He spent 4 days with me in PA and club-hunted Jersey with Clementon as a guest on Monday and killed a spike.

On Friday, he was riding through the woods off Burnt Mill by himself checking out some old spots. He had his gun with him and he ended up bumping into Rosedale in the woods, he knows a bunch of those guys too. They cheerfully invited him to take a stand on a drive that was about to start and he killed a Y-buck !

Both deer go to the respective clubs but he will get meat. I am very glad to see him get back into hunting.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
1639697463810.png

• Haha
Reactions: Wick

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
They still won't allow camping at Batona.

I camped out so many nights in the PB but never once in a public campground. I remember back in the 80s, talking to an officer at a rest area on the GSP or NJ Tpk. He told me there was a shooting death at the public campground the night before. Same thing when i worked briefly at the Grand Canyon. Three tourists died the first weekend i was up there, one a murder at the campground, the other 2 struck by lightning while riding bikes at the rim. They keep that quiet. They also kept it quiet about a maniac that had been hiding in the bushes and jumping women at the rim.

A surprising number of people die at the Canyon, not a few of them cartoon style, like, "Take one step back, dear, so i can get that whole mountain in the picture."

Once i broke up a fight right on the rim. A Japanese tourist wanted to throw a park ranger over the side. I witnessed the whole thing and the tourist was right. The ranger was crazy. That's what they're hiring now. Interesting book, Death In The Grand Canyon.

Anyway, public campgrounds r bad news. I always camped illegally (everything is illegal in NJ) deep in the PB wilds. My friend, the Jersey Devil, watched over me. Preferably not in hunting season tho, tho I've run into that, but I don't want no drunken hunter mistaking me for a deer, especially if I'm wearing my silly deer antler hat.

Reactions: Boyd