Snake Dens Disturbed

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
I did not post to this site yet but on 3-31, I found 3 pine snake dens located in the same general area all dug up. Pictures were taken, however unless you've been there you would not be able to see it as damaged. The "entrances" were intact, but the rest was dug up and put back.
State or University study? Poachers? May be someone can shed some light on it. Keep your eyes open.:(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is this an area that you might know of others that know the location?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One day there won't be such a thing as rattlers. It is so important to keep their exact locations a secret.

Guy

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Same discussion as on Field Herpers. I reported it to one of my fellow enthusiasts who started that thread. This spot is known by many I suspect, but of those people, they are just as shocked and dismayed. It's a great experience to know where these critters are and experience them "en situ". This is not cool, just not cool....:( I have observed many animals here, pre-digiatal camera. Perhaps all is not lost, time will tell.
k

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I know the area well. It's usually monitored by the state. They were so worried about the location that they even chained it off so vehicles could not drive in. What a shame.:(

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Yea Steve, I believe I was there with you and "red pygmy" before it was chained off. I let him know what I found and he started the thread on the other site with his usual eloquence.
They also tried to dig the dirt from behind the chain for some reason, possibly to drive under. Unfortunately, you can also drive up from behind it if one was so desperate. If you remember the other site we observed pines at a little bit further to the north, I found that site slightly disturbed but not catatrophically destoyed. I sent an email to my contact at the state and will let everyone know the outcome if/when they reply.
k