Snake ID

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
My sister in law found this snake in her back yard in Forked River, she caught it and put it in a tote so I could come check it out. Not shure what it is. Maritime garter? Sorry about the picture in the tote, the snake did not spend much time in it. Any ideas?

00311.JPG

Chris

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I have been racking my brain on this... The closest thing I could come up with that would be close to this area is maybe a baby mole kingsnake, but that doesn't make a lot of sense....I would be curious to know...

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
redneck is right,eastern garter snake(Thamnophis s. sirtalis)......i suspect that is someone's released or escaped captive-that color phase to my knowledge is not known from this area,and they are commonly selectively bred in the pet trade for their coloration.that's pretty cool if it was truly a wild snake originally from the pines though,which of course is possible.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Just so no one ever mistakes me for being an intelligent person, I have to admit that I really know next to nothing about snakes.

I do know that they must be given a wide berth and that the proper reaction is to scream and jump up and down like a little girl when I see one in the woods.
:)

I though that the snake in the photo looked a little familiar and I know that animals occassionally come in an assortment of neat colors within their own species.
So, a little image Googling of "red phase garter snake" hit paydirt right away.

I am kind of partial to the "dead phase garter" myself.

Just kidding Dragon dude.

:guinness:

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Thanks all!

I thought it had the pattern of a Garter but I was not shure if it was a Garter.

It shure is a pretty looking snake though.

Chris