Snake Traps?

PinesExplr

Scout
Dec 7, 2005
Medford, NJ
I was riding my mountain bike this morning thru/near the western part of Wharton and came upon 2 traps (one on either side of a sand road) with about 50 yards of plastic fence seemingly funneling whatever the traps were intended for into/towards the traps.

Does anybody know if this could be a sanctioned study or something? Is that the way people catch snakes or are these traps for some other critters?

Thks, ed

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ed, thanks for being vigilant of these things. I know of two study's going on both are sanctioned by environmental consulting firms and/or the state. The one you speak of is sanctioned. However when you ride by make sure the keep an eye out for suspicious looking people along those snake fences. Sometimes collectors find those locales and attempt to collect from them. Let me know if you come across anything suspicious. Thanks

Chris

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
ive actually seen it on tv, someone researching snakes, long pieces of plastic where snakes frequent, but there was a large bucket along the plastic deep enough so that the snakes could not get out, even if they were legit, i imagine someone could easily make it a do-it-yourselfer, good vigilance

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
and i agree completely, for the record i dont like the idea snake traps, there are some types that are almost like glue, it cant be good for them