Snakes moving?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I havn't seen any yet. Still a bit chilly at night I suppose. The snake hot spot is whites bog in the spring. I havn't been there yet but in previous years I've come across plenty of young common watersnakes, pine snakes, and as a bit of a surprise...a bunch of newly hatched king snakes one spring.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
They're out. So far I've seen a pinesnake, a black racer, and a garter. You won't see them on the cooler days, but most have already emerged from hibernation.

-Bob

PBJ1971

Scout
Oct 19, 2004
Belleplain, NJ
I've noticed quite a few of them...even the two nasty lookin' ones that appeared as we were getting ready to move a tree near the septic tank (guh, why they would want to hang out there? :p ) Husband removed one of 'em and the other one went back underground. Seen one in the shed, too....along with the turkeys, gunie (sp?) hens, falcons, turkey buzzards and every other creature.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
PBJ1971 said:
guh, why they would want to hang out there?

Pretty simple actually---the stink attracts bugs and makes the grass grow green--which attracts frogs and rodents. Good hunting grounds. the rule of thumb for finding snakes around the property is to look where the prey is.

-Bob

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
saw a black racer about 4.5-5 foot long out back of our barn at work on 4/20, that really hot day last week. we have a healthy population of chipmonks and field mice around the barn, no doubt he was on the hunt.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
When i was younger my friends dad used to take us to ride dirt bikes in this big dirt pit that had lots of tires in it. It was huge. I remember having to watch out for all the racers so we didn't run over them. It used to get a little muddy from some pools of water in them. I do remember getting of exit 50 something on the Garden State Parkway. Does anyone have an idea of exactly where the place is that i'm talking about? I would ask the friend but i've long lost contact with him since. I'd like to go back and see if it's still there. Thanks.

Steve

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ummm. Exit 50 something leaves a few possibilities for which pit it might have been. Do you recall how long of a drive it was once you got off of the parkway. Or anything else about the pit other than snakes and tires? How long ago was this?

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
woodjin said:
Ummm. Exit 50 something leaves a few possibilities for which pit it might have been. Do you recall how long of a drive it was once you got off of the parkway. Or anything else about the pit other than snakes and tires? How long ago was this?

I remember that as we approached the pit was on the left side of the road. The pit was surrounded by dirt mounds and trees. I remember that the pit was huge. This was about 8-9 years ago. I was told then that it's been there for a long time. I'm not sure about the distance off of the parkway.