snapping turtle

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
While going down 563 yesterday south of Chatsworth I happened to see a little snapping turtle. I pulled right over and ran over to get it before it got ran over. Got some pics of it before putting it in the ditch it was heading for.
Batsto 5-29-10 001.jpgBatsto 5-29-10 003.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice! Thanks for posting that.

I can tell by the photo the exact location you were at. That dwelling is just being built.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
yes the house is still being built. cranberry bogs on other side of 563. I was thinking it could of been a female that laid eggs in the soft sand in that yard but i think it is too small. Also to early to lay eggs also Im thinking am I correct? Usually in mid June im thinking.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
yes the house is still being built. cranberry bogs on other side of 563. I was thinking it could of been a female that laid eggs in the soft sand in that yard but i think it is too small. Also to early to lay eggs also Im thinking am I correct? Usually in mid June im thinking.

Rednek saw a turtle laying eggs last weekend.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Again, thanks for the photo.

BTW, everyone should keep their eyes out for people taking turtles laying eggs or in general. If you see anyone doing so get their tag number. I saw someone last year and I am disappointed in myself for not doing anything.

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

Again, thanks for the photo.

BTW, everyone should keep their eyes out for people taking turtles laying eggs or in general. If you see anyone doing so get their tag number. I saw someone last year and I am disappointed in myself for not doing anything.

Guy

I caught this little girl laying eggs this morning. She chose a very bad spot, those are tire marks behind her. Does anyone know the gestation period for the eggs?

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

We have been watching the duck cam, and they are 30 days. Not sure on turtles. In any event, it would be interesting to see the results if you could be there when it happened.

Guy

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I know box turtles lay their eggs around this time and they hatch at the end of August beginning of September. Northern red bellies I would imagine are the same.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice one Chris!

We found this one crossing the road back in 2004. It was really old and the left "foot' was missing. We left it there because it was so nasty and after going around a few turns in the road we decided to go back and it was gone. A car had come by so maybe they took it??

IMG_3434.JPG

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Guy, that is one beat up turtle!

The one I helped cross the road was very aggressive. I thought twice about doing it, but I broke down and gave the turtle a lift.

I was taught at a young age how to handle a snapping turtle safely.

Chris

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
This one is keeping the guardrail between cars and her eggs.

Attachments

• 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 306