Snow, wonderful snow!

Yesterday, me and a couple of friends went out to play in the snow. We entered at Atsion around 4:30. As we expected we were not the 1st ones there but it was obvious that not too many had ventured before us. We made our way to Quaker Bridge enjoying the beauty of it all. There is nothing more peaceful than the Pines in the snow. After coming through Penn Swamp I noticed no one had been on the road to Mount. We had no choice. We had to be the 1st. View my album for some snowy scenes of Mount. The snow was 6" to 8" at the time. http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=279

From there we continued to Batsto and back into the woods in The Forks area. Then back home via Batsto-Quaker Bridge Rd. I made it home just minutes before the 8:00pm state of emergency. Not that I was worried about it. We only saw 3 other vehicles while in the Pines. Where were you guys???

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I stayed in yesterday Bear. I wanted to get a head start on the shoveling. I have a snowblower.

Nice photos you have there..........

bob

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Nice photos. I stayed home too with the woodstove and fireplace stoked high. Spent about 3 hours wrestling the snowblower down the driveway (I'm over 300' off the road) - it was choking on the snow and cold last night. Then today spent nearly 4 hours really clearing everything out. The woods are beautiful out my back door, and that's good enough for me on a day like this! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Steve! The B&W photo's are all you need in the snow.

Guy

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
All,

Pictures Are Here. Sorry for the late post. Check out all the sub-albums.

Incredible, amazing weekend. I will post the pictures and modify this post when I get back from work today. Here's my itinerary:

On Saturday morning, after getting coffee, I headed out to the Goshen Pond area around 12:30 or 1:00 PM when there was around 4" of snow on the ground. Took a few pictures there, then went romping toward Atco/Jackson at some fields we usually hang out at.

Later on that day, once I woke up my friends from their winter slumber, we got about 7 or 8 of us together to play football at the field by the Atsion ranger station. It was around 4:00 PM and the snow was really coming down (about 8" had fallen up until then). That was loads of fun, then we all continued to do some light off roading in the same area as before.

That night, we went to Pic-A-Lilli which was the only open place to eat. Then, we constructed a 'Snow Bar' in my friend's backyard and spraypainted "Eagles" on it and made a fire.

Later that night, I ventured out (around 1:00 am) by myself down Caranza. The snow had really picked up again and I turned back because I could not see anything and there was about 12" of snow unplowed at the far end (past the camp and death curve). There were some folks out there but not too many.

Next morning was amazing, my friend and I headed out to Apple Pie Hill (first ones up there in the morning). The sun just started coming out. We felt like we were in Vermont. The trees were so laiden with snow that they were all hanging down in the trail. Knock on wood that I didn't get a cracked windshield this weekend. The trails were simply awe inspiring in the blue sky and bright sun.

We headed through Chatsworth, helped push a guy in a Jetta out of a snowbank, then continued to Lake Oswego which was of course, beautiful. On the way back, we took Friendship-Speedwell road, stopped at Friendship and took some photos. Then went to Hawkin Bridge and Campsite before returning to the Eagles Snow Bar to enjoy the football game.

After the game, we went out again in the almost full moon. Started at Friendship and went all the way to Batsto to check out the moon/stars. Made our way back via Quakerbridge Rd (which I might add is very hard to get down if you have a lifted truck). There are trees forming tunnels because of all the snow.

I cannot express how amazing this weekend was. I am definitly going out again tonight before the temperature warms up and we lose this snow. Anyone else up for some snow exploring again tonight?

Photos to follow.

Peace,

Justin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NewSchoolPiney said:
All,

Incredible, amazing weekend. I will post the pictures and modify this post when I get back from work today. Here's my itinerary:

Justin

Nice report Justin. Thanks for posting. Can't wait for the photo's.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
NewSchoolPiney said:
All,

I cannot express how amazing this weekend was. I am definitly going out again tonight before the temperature warms up and we lose this snow. Anyone else up for some snow exploring again tonight?

Photos to follow. Peace,
Justin

Great report Justin. Reminds me of some of the times I went ice skating out in the back of Lebanon Lakes and we built fires. We used to zoom in and out of the dead cedar trees on our skates.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I hate the snow!

I didn't do anything Pine Barrens related because I live far enough away to make it a pain in the ass to get out there.

The Jeep did really well in the snow, though. If it weren't for my wife's car I wouldn't have to shovel the driveway. Just stick it in 4WD and go in and out.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
I hate the snow!

It is nice to ride the woods in the snow, but I have to agree with you Ben. I like warm weather and the snow is hampering things I want to do. I want it gone!!

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Went out Sunday into the south plains...beautiful! Bob, you went ice skating around the cedar stumps in the back of Lebanon lake once? Sounds like fun. Monster pickeral back there in the spring.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Justin. Thanks for passing them on to us.

Guy