Snow

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The snowy (blue) area has been stalled over me for awhile. Coming down steadily, mixed with rain at 36 degrees. Could be some slippery roads in the morning.

snow.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
As I expected, that rain/snow mix froze my car doors closed. Gave a good tug on the handle and got a nasty cut on my finger from the jagged ice. :argh: Turns out that the door on the passenger side opened up easily.

Looks like a nice day, heading out now to check out the ice coating on the roads.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Got a call from my brother who lives about a half hour from Chicago. When he awoke yesterday the actual temperature was -21 F and by noon was only up to -20. The house heater could only warm the house up to 58, even though it ran continually. At 5 degrees now in my neighborhood we have it pretty good!

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
the actual temperature was -21 F and by noon was only up to -20. The house heater could only warm the house up to 58, even though it ran continually.

When we get these cold snaps I start to wonder at what outside temp would my heater run continuously. Probably never know because I fire up the wood stove to keep the gas man away.

Edit, it was 7° at 5am both here and when I got to Philly. Usually I see a significant increase as I drive into the city

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Has been snowing here since this morning, pretty steady now. Everything except treated surfaces have a light covering. Temps are in mid-teens making it a little slippery.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Light snow on and off here since about 10:00 AM, a little less than one inch so far but looks like it will continue for awhile. NWS forecasting 1 to 2 inches.

The moisture is not in the electrical box, but exists as water vapor on the inside of the house. This is why you might want to put those small foam inserts behind all your switchplates, esp on exterior walls.
There are usually air gaps in wall insulation, and cold exteior air around the electrical box behind the switch can leak into the room (conditioned space) where when it meets the warmer room air, and the water vapor there becomes frost. Cold air sinks, note that the frost has formed below the openings in the switchplate. Note also that this picture is from Wisconsin, which is (so far!) much colder than New Jersey.
(Building Performance Institute certified residential energy analyst Jersey Girl)

Reactions: 46er