Snow

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The forecast for my area is 1 to 5 inches now. Was thinking that's quite a range, but then I looked closely at the map - look at the bands as you go South from Vineland. They are only ~3 miles wide per inch of snow. Then there's a sharp bump up to 7 inches when you get to the middle of Burlington County. I wonder how it will really turn out this time?

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 2.47.56 PM.png

This seems to be yet another iteration of the same storm--- little or no snow ending up as rain. Again. My yard and garden are soggy and the farm field across the road is a morass despite the sandy soil.

The upside--- no ice.

Just west of Bridgeton in Cumberland Cty.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Nothin' but rain here so far, 36 degrees and it's been coming down pretty heavy. Looking at radar, it appears the snow is all North of Trenton for now.

I see that my forecast has been revised to call for less than 1/2 inch of snow. Sounds good to me. ;)

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder; the weather is pretty nice and looks not too bad in the week ahead. If I summerize the snowblower, will that trigger a spring blizzard? I just don't want to get blamed for it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder how much, or little, we actually got this past winter. I never even had to shovel. Daffodillies bloomed this past weekend.

The Johnsons are plowing the field they lease across the road from my house; ground finally dried out. Puddles on the other, lower end of the field still wet; spring creepers there every night for the past few days. Time to treat the dogs with flea/tick preventative, switch to light-colored pants for work in the garden.
Never even took my real cold weather clothes out of storage.

I miss winter.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I think this was quite a cold winter. Maybe not in the sense of individual days that were really cold, but in terms of average temperature. I heat with wood and have already burned more than last year and it's not over yet. I thought last year was cold too - two years ago I only burned half as much, which was more typical.

There are usually big buds on the maple trees down by the stream, but no sign of them at all yet this year. The uplands are starting to dry out finally, so that probably means it's time for more rain since they haven't stayed dry from more than a few days at a time since last fall. ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I think this was quite a cold winter.

What I've been reading is the weather 'experts' are saying winter 2018-19 will go down as a mild one for the mid-atlantic states. I'll have to compare my utility bills for us. But that is an average they talk about, localized temps could be anything. Our cabin was on a river in a narrow valley; it got pretty freakin cold even though the forecast said different. But it was a 'dry' cold. ;)

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
My PSEG bill compares each month's usage for gas an electric to the same month last year. I was consistently 10-20% higher this winter than last. It's hard to say if it's because of the weather or just differences in usage.

Reactions: Boyd

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
I heat with wood pellets and I too have burned more than last year. I work outdoors, and though it was very cold at times, the biggest difference I believe I noticed, was it was very windy. That wind chill offset the temperature and may have made it feel colder than it really was.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Weird one this evening. Leaving the shopping center in Millville around 7:00 PM, all of a sudden a heavy mix of snow/sleet/rain came pounding down, the wind blew hard, visibility was limited, roads started getting slippery. Lasted a little over 10 mimutes, during which time the temperaure dropped from 51 to 41. And then it was gone....

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Only lasted maybe 10 minutes here in Woodbury. Came through about 6:30. It left the streets very slippery, I was driving home from the store. Still a little bit on the ground in the shady spots as of this morning.

Weird one this evening. Leaving the shopping center in Millville around 7:00 PM, all of a sudden a heavy mix of snow/sleet/rain came pounding down, the wind blew hard, visibility was limited, roads started getting slippery. Lasted a little over 10 mimutes, during which time the temperaure dropped from 51 to 41. And then it was gone....

Boyd, when you left the shopping center, were you heading north?

I was leaving the Walmart there at the same time, saw enormous, low dark gray storm cloud to the north, and sunset with blue shading to lavender around orange setting sun to the west. Heading west on Rt 49, clear sky to the south with some wind gusts light rain as I left Millville. Completely clear by the time I approached Bridgeton. The heavy gray, low cloud bank I saw to the north resembled pics of the wedge-shaped cloud banks that produce tornados.

Fantastic disply.