Snowies on the way...

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I happened upon this guy the other day while travelling. Is this a snowy owl?

Attachments

• owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 302

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This years irruption is well under way, looks like it is already larger than 2013-14. NY and NJ locations are not being posted on the current map due to the issues had during previous years.

166625359.jpg

166625360.jpg

Last edited:

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
46er....that a good link that everyone should read if they wish to spot a snowy.. Of the little I read, it is the lack of food source up north. It involves the population of lemmings that they feast on in Canada. A record number of nests have been detected this year.. The young owls are pushed father south in the winter to find food. Since they nest in open fields, that why they can be spotted at airports, farmland and along the coastline.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Of the little I read, it is the lack of food source up north. It involves the population of lemmings that they feast on in Canada.

Actually it is an over abundance of food, i.e. Lemmings. They produce more eggs with abundant food and if the Lemming population then crashes, there are too many birds for the then existing food supply, hence their searches bring them south.

An excellent site for all things Owl below. Started by Denver Holt, it is one of the best sources of info, ton's of good info.

https://www.owlresearchinstitute.org/

Reactions: NJChileHead

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Great info 46er, I'm interested in trying to get out to see the snowies this year as well. I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just a slight turn of the camera, which I suspect they did, would produce the same wonderful result.