So long Hampton Furnace Building

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
How sad that people can't just let things be. I never thought those stones were particularly attractive for a rock garden or wall anyway. They clearly are not native to South Jersey. I had heard that the timbers for that packing house were salvaged from the dismantled buildings of the Centenial Celebration in Phila. I assumed the stones for the foundation came from across the river as well. There was relatively easy access to the area from the railroad. Some of the old stone buildings in the Wissakickon (SP?) section of Phila look like they are of similar appearance. Who knows? Justa thought.

Oh, and this by no means excuses the idiots in the minivan!

Rich

mk1505

Nov 3, 2008
This kind of selfish and and thoughtless behavior really irritates me. Don't people realize that these old ruins are irreplacable. Once they are gone they are gone forever.

It's bad enough that little is being done to keep what's left from falling apart on its own, but add to that some jackass taking these ruins apart just to save a few bucks on building materials, and soon there will be nothing left of these historic structures but a hole in the ground.

Many of these old structures are quickly being reclaimed by the pine barrens at an alarming rate.

I love exploring these old ruins and a few years ago I started researching them on the internet. I soon realized that with the exception of some snapshots that the occasional explorer would take, that there was no extensive photo documentation of these sites.

So to make a long story short I decided to start a project where I would visit these sites and extensively photograph and document them. So far I have taken thousands of photos of the various ruins at the Weymouth furnace / paper mill complex and of the various ruins at the Hampton furnace / cranberry bog complex. I plan to visit and document many of the other sites in NJ like Bellcoville, Amatol, Harrisville, Martha's Furnace, and so on.

In working on this project I have compared photos I took at these sites just 4 years ago, to photos I have taken recently, and even at supposedly protected sites like Weymouth, there has been noticable deterioration in just 4 years. And that is without anyone removing material from that particular site.

I have seen photos frm the cranberry packing house ruins at Hampton (the large rectangular building that most people think is the furnace) that were taken between 10 and 30 years ago and in them the ruin is much more intact that it is now. I believe that much of the deterioration is from vandalisim and theft.

In the time since I have started this project a few of the structures that I shot photos of just 4 years ago have even partially or totally collapsed.

It's sad that something more cant be done to protect what's left of these historic sites. If we don't do something to stop idiots like the thief you observed from ruining these sites then what will be left for future generations to explore?

I think there is a ranger station near Hampton and I know the site is patrolled regularly. It's too bad they can't install wireless cameras or maybe even those digital hunting cameras that strap to the trees, to photograph people and cars who visit the site so some of these thieves can be photographed and fined.

Something more needs to be done to protect these sites before they are gone forever. Unfortunately I'm not sure what we can do.

Let's just hope that these thieves wise up and realize the irepparable damage that they are diong. Though I doubt they will, or even care.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
This kind of selfish and and thoughtless behavior really irritates me. Don't people realize that these old ruins are irreplacable. Once they are gone they are gone forever.

It's bad enough that little is being done to keep what's left from falling apart on its own, but add to that some jackass taking these ruins apart just to save a few bucks on building materials, and soon there will be nothing left of these historic structures but a hole in the ground.

Many of these old structures are quickly being reclaimed by the pine barrens at an alarming rate.

I love exploring these old ruins and a few years ago I started researching them on the internet. I soon realized that with the exception of some snapshots that the occasional explorer would take, that there was no extensive photo documentation of these sites.

So to make a long story short I decided to start a project where I would visit these sites and extensively photograph and document them. So far I have taken thousands of photos of the various ruins at the Weymouth furnace / paper mill complex and of the various ruins at the Hampton furnace / cranberry bog complex. I plan to visit and document many of the other sites in NJ like Bellcoville, Amatol, Harrisville, Martha's Furnace, and so on.

In working on this project I have compared photos I took at these sites just 4 years ago, to photos I have taken recently, and even at supposedly protected sites like Weymouth, there has been noticable deterioration in just 4 years. And that is without anyone removing material from that particular site.

I have seen photos frm the cranberry packing house ruins at Hampton (the large rectangular building that most people think is the furnace) that were taken between 10 and 30 years ago and in them the ruin is much more intact that it is now. I believe that much of the deterioration is from vandalisim and theft.

In the time since I have started this project a few of the structures that I shot photos of just 4 years ago have even partially or totally collapsed.

It's sad that something more cant be done to protect what's left of these historic sites. If we don't do something to stop idiots like the thief you observed from ruining these sites then what will be left for future generations to explore?

I think there is a ranger station near Hampton and I know the site is patrolled regularly. It's too bad they can't install wireless cameras or maybe even those digital hunting cameras that strap to the trees, to photograph people and cars who visit the site so some of these thieves can be photographed and fined.

Something more needs to be done to protect these sites before they are gone forever. Unfortunately I'm not sure what we can do.

Let's just hope that these thieves wise up and realize the irepparable damage that they are diong. Though I doubt they will, or even care.

Well said! I'm glad to hear about your project.

Glo

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
The sad bottom line truth is that New Jersey has never invested a dime into supporting our cultural landscape in any way shape or form. The looting of sites is nothing new and as long as money is not invested into site protection, namely in fences, this will continue. I say fences because they are a physical barrier.
Our current economy tells me site protection will not come anytime soon. Perhaps education in the classroom and local town hall meetings could get projects going in the right direction. Maybe even contacting both big and small newspapers to cover this topic could be a positive change as well. It always seems actions happen when towns, townships, and politicians see publicity that makes them look bad, but if thats what it takes so be it.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
That statement might just be a bit over the top. Take a look around; just recently Atsion and Batsto. Lots more.....

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/historic/index.html

Perhaps your right, but I'm not quite sure. The vast majority of those sites are Central and North Jersey, and while its great to see the additions of Atsion and Batsto the question of archaeological preservation is still, to me anyway, one that is not adressed in the Pine Lands and other South Jersey sites. Its nice to see new visitor reception areas but ultimately they are front country sites that bring some amenities and educational material to a general public. I'd much rather see site preservation than see pictures of what they had looked like.
The question of back country sites is the more pressing of the two. Without proper care the issue of site looting, defacing, and general degradation of sites will leave nothing BUT the visitor centers and public restrooms. Batsto does indeed look great, but what about, say, Apple Pie Hill? Since as far back as I can remember it has been a garbage strewn "party spot" where ignorant people drop garbage from the tower, speading a terrible mess all over.
This is not an easy discussion with simple answers, but without more investment into some type of security or resource care we can expect only more looting and site destruction.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
In working on this project I have compared photos I took at these sites just 4 years ago, to photos I have taken recently, and even at supposedly protected sites like Weymouth, there has been noticable deterioration in just 4 years. And that is without anyone removing material from that particular site. I doubt they even care.

Just getting around to this particular one, sorry.
Weymouth. Can not tell you how many times I've seen folks from all walks of life and all makes of vehicles or just touristy passers through take away a litte "souvenir".
Protected? Doesn't seem so. Such a cool place, so disrespected. Do not kid yourself that the first person to be hurt by a weakened structure will not hesitate to go after the state for blood either. People suck.
Maybe I should take a little Sumpin-Sumpin too while I still have the chance eh' and become one of the masses?

g.

Iterestingly enough, some years back, I was looking at Atlantic County bridges and thier white marble info plates (who the engineer was when built / upgraded), mostly from the 1915's into the 1940's and found that a few loose or half removed ones were actually re-used headstones! The temples of Egypt and other ancient places were regularily sacked for the materials. It ain't pretty but it's a fact - recycling didn't start in the 1970's with Earthday!

PineyRoots

Apr 5, 2009
Galloway
They give people with mini vans a bad name! Lol. If you see a gold one in the woods it's just me, and I look, but don't touch ruins- it's rare and beautiful first of all, plus who needs that guilt and bum karma? Idiots. They wouldn't like it if people walked up took stuff out of their yard. Even though it's all stolen anyway.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This is not an easy discussion with simple answers, but without more investment into some type of security or resource care we can expect only more looting and site destruction.

Unfortunatley the state, most counties and localities are just about broke. As I see it, the only place funding can come from in the foreseeable future is the private sector, which is how the NJ Historic Preservation Office works. But few, if any, are knocking on the door with an open wallet for the pines. :(

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Unfortunatley the state, most counties and localities are just about broke. As I see it, the only place funding can come from in the foreseeable future is the private sector, which is how the NJ Historic Preservation Office works. But few, if any, are knocking on the door with an open wallet for the pines. :(

Good Point. Historic trust is a great org, but the problem comes from the fact that they work dolling out money for special interest groups representing specific sites themselves, for the most apart anyway. Being the Pines don't have to many (if any) trusts groups for, lets say Weymouth or Harrisville (for example), nobody is truly lobbying. Food for thought I think, not easy getting these types of things moving, but very worthwhile nonetheless.

MuddinMommy

Sep 24, 2009
Ortley Beach, NJ
I think the problem is with places like that are that they're clearly marked on any road altas that i have...alone with a lot of other historical spotsin the pine barrens