SoJourn has arrived

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
The South Jersey Culture & History Center at Stockton is proud to announce the second issue of SoJourn, a journal devoted to the history, culture, and geography of South Jersey

upload_2017-1-28_21-36-11.png
Contents of this issue:

“Kate Aylesford: Modernity and Place in New Jersey’s Pine Barrens” by Matthew G. Hatvany
—A reconsideration of one of the first historical romances based upon events in South Jersey, describing the Battle of Chestnut Neck and Revolutionary era Batsto and Sweetwater.

“Alfred and Muriel: The Story of the J. A. Sweeton House in Cherry Hill, New Jersey” by Brian Stolz as told by Jim Stanton
—How South Jersey came to have its one and only Frank Lloyd Wright designed house.

“School Segregation in the Post-Civil War Era: Burlington County, New Jersey, 1865 – 1915” by Zachary T. Baer
—Before Brown v. Board of Education and before Plessy v. Ferguson came Pierce v. The Union District Trustees. The story of Jeremiah H. Pierce's efforts to desegregate Burlington schools.

“Where Blackberries Grew: Margaret Mead in Hammonton” by Patricia Chappine and Mark Demitroff
—The story of Margaret Mead's connection to Hammonton, New Jersey.​

“A Day on the Bay with Waterman Phil Andersen” by Susan Allen
—A stunning photo essay chronicling a day with two local crabbers.

“South Jersey Fruit Picking Tickets” by Richard Watson
—All you ever wanted to know about picker tickets and their use by South Jersey farmers.

“From Butcher Knife to Scalpel: Four Generations of South Jersey Physicians” by Lisa E. Cox, Edward Hutton and Ruth Hutton-Williams
—Four generations of general practitioners serving Cumberland County from 1826 through 1976.

“Manufacturing from Menhaden: A History in the Mullica Valley” by Kenneth W. Able
—The development and decline of the menhaden industry on and near the Mullica River.

“Carabajal, The Jew: A Legend of Monterey, Mexico” by Charles K. Landis, with an introduction by Vince Farinaccio
—A short historical fiction depicting the life of Don Luis de Carabajal y Cueva, governor of Nuevo León, written by Charles K. Landis, founder of Vineland and Sea Isle City, New Jersey.

“Reimagining a Remnant of the Past at Stockton” by James Pullaro and Paul W. Schopp
—An artistic interpretation of the sawmill erected on what is now Stockton's Lake Fred in 1815.

Copies are available at the Stockton Campus Center Bookstore, Second Time Books in Mt. Laurel, the AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center gift shop, and Amazon.

I'm relaying an email from Stockton's South Jersey Culture & History Center.

Cheers!
S-M

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Made my first trip to Second Time Books today. I've been putting off getting the first issue of SoJourn for far too long and the release of the second issue, along with having a rare day off with my wife and the opportunity to share a road trip together, prompted me to make the journey from Little Egg Harbor. I was extremely impressed with the shop's selection and between the two of us we purchased eleven books and pamphlets. My selections were all historical in nature with the exception of one on fly-fishing which piqued my interest. It might seem an unnecessarily long journey to some when the Stockton bookstore is much closer and Amazon a few keystrokes away but I'm a HUGE proponent of supporting locally owned brick-and-mortar shops whenever I can. We explored a few other sites in the area and enjoyed some wings and beer at Pic-A-Lilli on the way back. A rare enjoyable day for me that didn't involve coming home dirty or briar-scratched. ;)

I finished the article on Nash's Cabin in the first SoJourn issue within a half hour of returning home. For some reason, my wife insisted I not try to read it while driving :(. I do not see a single title among the remaining articles in either issue which does not interest me. I highly recommend them both, as well as Second Time Books!

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I'm relaying an email from Stockton's South Jersey Culture & History Center that was posted July 20, 2017.

SoJourn
2.1, the third issue of South Jersey history, culture, and geography has arrived from the printers (about a week sooner than we anticipated). You can purchase it from the Stockton University Bookstore, the AtlantiCare Regional Hospital gift shop, Second Time Books in Mt. Laurel (as soon as we can have them delivered), and Amazon or by contacting me, Tom Kinsella, or Paul W. Schopp.

Region capture 7.png

The Articles in this issue:

“The First African American Excursion to Atlantic City” by Paul W. Schopp​

“Proving a Legend: A Submarine in the Rancocas Creek” by Alice Smith​

“Brevet Brigadier General Elias Wright: Surveyor Extraordinaire” by Elizabeth G. Carpenter​

“Mapping the Mullica Valley: Natural History Landscapes” by Kenneth W. Able​

“Off Course in a Raging Sea: Captain William M. Phillips and the Plight of the Schooner BENJAMIN E. VALENTINE” by Paul W. Schopp with Anthony Ficcaglia​

“Haul Away, Boys!” [Pictorial essay on Shad on the Delaware]​

“Jerseyisms” by Francis E. Lee​

“The Rebirth of Buzby’s Chatsworth General Store” by R. Marilyn Schmidt​

“The Publications of R. Marilyn Schmidt”​

“The Endicott-Reardon Family Museum” by Rebecca Muller​

“Anecdotes and Memoirs of William Boen”​

“The Coia Map Project” by James Pullaro and Paul W. Schopp​

S-M