SoJourn Winter 2018/19 is out!

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
SoJourn Winter 2018/19 — A journal devoted to the history, culture, and geography of South Jersey.

Region capture 5.png

ARTICLES
  • "The Southern Pine Barrens: An Ethnic Archipelago," by Elizabeth Marsh, Mark Demitroff, & Paul Schopp.
  • "Unexpected Wildlife Refuge: Haven for South Jersey Wildlife," by Nedim Buyukmichi
  • "The Sphinx Women," by Patricia Martinelli
  • "Horseshoe Crabs: Ancient Migrators," by Kenneth Able, Thomas Grothues, & Paola López-Duarte
  • "All Aboard for Amatol, New Jersey," by Daniel Dinnebeil
  • "Unlikely Farmers: Tokens of the Allivine Canning Company," by Todd Sciore
  • "The Newton Union Burial Ground: The Site of Camden County’s Origin and The Resting Place of Its Early Pioneers," by Robert Shinn, Andrew Levecchia, & Sandra White Grear
  • "A Century Later: The Spanish Flu in New Jersey," by Brendan Honick
  • "The Youthful Emigrant: A True Story of the Early Settlement of New Jersey," by Lydia Child, introductory by Sarah Holt
  • "The Compendium of New Jersey’s Crossroads in Folk Music: A Q&A with Michael Gabriele," reviewed by Jackson Glassey
  • "The Bayshore Center: A Unique Maritime Experience on the Delaware Bay," by Jessica English
Cheers,
S-M

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Mark,

I grew up in the 1950's-60's just a block away from the cemetery. All the kids in the neighborhood played on that parcel of land. It is basically rectangular in shape with the grave markers in one corner of the property. The rest was open with old growth trees. Sadly, a good number of trees came down during a couple of hurricanes back then. We played football, Cowboy and Indians, went shedding, and made forts. We played on the Quaker section of the cemetery, where they don't display grave markers. I didn't know that until I just read an article off the net.

I don't know what the article above stated as to the town it is located. But, it is in the West Collingswood Extension part of Haddon Township, with a West Collingswood address. It is only four blocks square. It is one of two exclaves of the main section of Haddon Township known as Westmont along Haddon Ave between Collingswood and Haddonfield.. That is where I live today. One needs to drive about 2 1/2 miles through Collingswood to get from one section to the other. The other exclave is West Collingswood Heights with a Mt Ephraim PO.

Oh yes, back then kids could roam the neighborhood and into Collingswood with no fear. Just be home in time for dinner.

Ron

Last edited:
Reactions: Spung-Man
Hurricane Hazel, 1962. Took down the big pine tree in Lake St area in Bridgeton that I climbed when I was a kid, I remember because parents woke us middle of the night to get away from the side of our Commerce St house where oak tree came down.
I'd some days climb that pine, come home later with pine gum matted hair. "What have you been doing?"
"Nothing" "OK. Go wash up, its dinner time"

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Jeresy Girl; Could you be referring to Hazel in 1954. Millville had gust up to 86 mph. The other one I recalled, was Diane in 1955. I was 9 and 10 yrs old at the time. I believe they are the two I was referring.

Jeresy Girl; Could you be referring to Hazel in 1954. Millville had gust up to 86 mph. The other one I recalled, was Diane in 1955. I was 9 and 10 yrs old at the time. I believe they are the two I was referring.

Yes, thanks for correction. It was Hurricane Hazel. I was less than 10 years old, so memory unreliable for the year, but clear on name of that storm.

I also remember another storm later, 1962 event flooded our house on the bay in Stone Harbour. I have a distinct memory picture of the waterline on the inside wall there: it was 2 feet above the floor. Our house there was a small cottage built on a concrete slab, got flooded every 10 years or so when a big storm hit at same time as full moon or other high tide phase when wind pushed water into the bays.
Hence the name "barrier island".