Solar battery chargers

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Anyone have any experience with portable solar battery chargers? I'm planning a trip for next year that will have me away from developed areas for up to 2 weeks at a time. I don't want to pack a bunch of batteires for the cameras and GPS and am thinking one of these might be one solution as long as the sun is out :D

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I purchased a small solar charger this year that was intended to charge up my Blackberry while fishing in Cape Hatteras. I had more than enough sun, but the BB never charged, at best it helped (a bit) to keep the existing charge but would not actually charge it if it was low or discharged totally. It was only a $30 charger and I wouldn't buy one again. Maybe a bigger, more $ model would work better.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In reading up on them, its recommended to be careful to match its output to the need of the batteries/device. I'm looking at the Brunton Solaris 6, weighs 7oz and can be hung off a backpack and can trickle charge a car battery. I've seen them as low as $80.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I have a friend who uses them all the time. He may lurk here but I am not sure. I will shoot him an email and ask him or see if he'll pop in and give his opinion...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have a friend who uses them all the time. He may lurk here but I am not sure. I will shoot him an email and ask him or see if he'll pop in and give his opinion...

Thanks. I'm going to find some place with a good return policy, then I'll give one a try.

Ipodguy

Sep 4, 2010
Gipsie's pal here. I'm pasting the reply I sent to her email.

I read the thread and if that guy is looking to make one for himself, this is what he will need to do:

First and foremost, he will need to decide on a battery. Lead acid "Deep Cycle" (aka Marine Batteries) or GEL batteries are what he wants. They allow for more power to be drained that standard batteries. GEL batteries need a special charge controller (more on that in a bit) so decide on the battery first. 12V is a must, the more amp hours the better. GELs are expensive and can be found in mobility stores as wheelchair or scooter batteries. Lead-Acids are less expensive but are larger and heavier - definitely get a sealed one, it's safer.

Second, he will need to decide on a charge controller and solar panel. The type of charge controller he chooses will depend on the type of battery he gets and the wattage/amps of the solar panel. Personally, the one I'm working on has a 15 watt amorphous solar panel from Harbor Freight, a charge controller rated to work with the panel (it can handle up to 7 amps) and a 12V/19Ah LA battery (I want a stronger battery in the future). He will need to decide how quickly he wants the battery to fully charge vs. how much he can carry. DON'T cheat yourself on the solar panel (like those little trickle-chargers) or you will be hauling a heavy useless paperweight.

The solar panel runs into the charge controller and the charge controller runs to the battery. 2 wires, easy stuff. The charge controller does a few important things - it feeds the battery energy that it can handle and prevents power from flowing back into the solar panel when it's dark. Most charge controllers will also shut down the power coming in from the solar panel when the batteries are full to prevent overcharging.

Next, he needs to decide what devices he wants to charge. Does he want to re-charge his cellphone or microwave nachos? Whatever his needs, he will most likely want the versatility of DC and AC power. To get AC, he will need an inverter. I went with a 750watt inverter. DON'T skimp on an inverter. I wouldn't go any less than 400W.

From each battery terminal, he will need to run a wire (that's 2 total). Anywhere from 8ga to 12ga braided should do well. On the positive line, wire in an on/off switch and an inline fuse (2A should work fine). After that, he can hook up 12 V DC outlets (like in a car/cigarette lighter) and after those the inverter which will supply AC current like in a house (many of the larger inverters also have a USB jack).

If this system is meant to be enclosed, he must be careful that it will not overheat. Computer fans are 12V DC and can be easily added to help cool the interior of the container.

Ideally, splices should be soldered and covered completely with electrical tape. You're literally playing with fire here and you can get hurt.

This may seem like a lot of info to digest, but it's really not that hard. Instructables.com is a great site that has good information on homebrew power stations.

Edit:

I've done a little more thinking on the subject. After re-reading your post, it's unclear whether you just want something small enough to recharge some AA batteries or if you want something bigger like what I described above that can provide you with a lot of energy.

If you want something smaller and more portable to charge AA or AAA batteries, a simple solution is to buy solar lights for a garden or walkway. Gut them down to the panel, circuit board and battery holder. Then, simply de-solder the LED and photosensor from the circuit board. Do this for as many batteries as you want to charge. I did something similar for my truck. I wanted to keep 2 AA batteries charged constantly for my GPS, so I gutted 2 garden lights, took out the LED's/photosensors and mounted them to a piece of scrap wood. It's velcroed to my window and I always have 2 fresh batteries. You can charge fully empty batteries in 1-2 days this way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
An update, I wanted to get some actual use before posting. I bought one of these to try in my Explorer that gets very little use. I used to have to run a charge on it before I used it, not good for the battery. This thing works great, it is for 12V only and cannot over charge. Just ordered another for the boat, $20. I did not get anything for the camera batteries. For the cost, an extra battery made more sense that I could charge via an inverter in the car/truck.

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=65