Some 2009 Photos

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Christmas 2009 with the family is come and gone. Love is what binds us together.
Posting a few photos taken in the Pine Barrens from late summer / fall 2009.

This is what the beaver dam at Webb’s Mills looks like now. It is huge, taller than me. They have the upper hand I think.
watermark.php

From behind Roosevelt City in Whiting. They (whomever, I’m just saying!) crap up the road that goes to Harry Wright Lake from Lacey Road too.
watermark.php

Can any of you recognize this spot? Hint; there is a small hill across the way.
watermark.php

Chris (Hewey) starting out at the Chatsworth field on our last explore.
watermark.php

The NEW Black’s Bridge. Already there is graffiti on the opposite side. I hate graffiti with all my heart. It shows disrespect for God, for the Earth, and for fellow Humans.
IMG_4537_Medium_.JPG

This is that road that runs from the Eureka Gun Club to 539. The State feels it prudent to slash both sides of the road for some odd reason.
watermark.php

I was working in my back yard and this wasp had this katydid in a death grasp, but try as he might, he could not get it off the ground and fly it to his special eating spot. He tried for at least 10 minutes, totally ignoring me. His wings were working hard enough to create a breeze and cool me off.
watermark.php

When Guy and I first started looking at the Webb’s Mill beaver dam, I reached in and pulled about 5 handfuls of sticks and other detritus, and then I grabbed this. It is a flawless coke bottle from 1956—Trenton. Go figure. Some guy with slicked-back hair, a pack of Pall Mall rolled up in his sleeves and white socks with black shoes threw it in.
watermark.php

Blazing Star from the Whiting JCRR tracks.
watermark.php

They have wonderful fall color. Liatris graminiolia is the latin (if memory serves me).
watermark.php

Someone else on the forum was discussing this spot. I think there was a restaurant there? There is a side road where you can see all the way the hell to Atlantic City. I think its kind of neat.
watermark.php

Be aware of this plant; it is making inroads into the pines. It is poison sumac. It is said to be agonizing, and just getting in the vicinity will make you itch like mad. It'll drive you into the ocean in order to get relief.
watermark.php

I did find one of those orange frogs some of you spoke of. Not bright orange thought, at least not this one.
watermark.php

Buddy surveys the damage done to the orchids at Webb’s Mill. I could hear him whine softly.
watermark.php

If you can identify this plant from this photo, kudos to you.
watermark.php

Here is a hint; this is not a grass, it is threatened, and the fruits are immature in these photos.
watermark.php

A self-portrait. I had wandered into a dense swamp off Lacey Road in Bamber looking for some elusive yellow orchids that were there early in the last century. It was a veritable jungle, and it was about 90 degrees and very humid. I was laughing at my predicament and said to myself…”I can’t believe I’m doing this”…..so I took a photo to prove I was not dreaming. Notice the fog on the glasses from the humidity.
watermark.php

The same frog Guy and I harassed for photos in the Pine Plains in August(?). He wanted to charge us a fly for each photo.
watermark.php

A nice little stand of curly-grass fern.
watermark.php

Utricularia fibrosa (Humped bladderwort).
IMG_4320_Medium_.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great photo's Bob! You rounded out the year with some gems.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
A nicely varied collection with great narrative. I especially like the beaver lodge, the liatris, and the katydid-wasp duel. Your orange frog looks like he was dunked in SC clay! Can't remember what kind . . . ?

Thanks, Bob.

Glo

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Nice pictures Bob, I look foreward to another great year of exploring. Would your mystery plant be in the Genus Rhynchospora?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks y'all! I got a million of 'em! Its fun to tell the stories, I'll do another block.

Tom, yes, correct Genus.

PS: Pancoast, I felt sure you'd nail that lake and pines shot. Think...where can you stand and see it....and there are patches of clearings on the hill at the other side inbetween the pines....but they are covered in pine needles.