some pretty cool old paper work

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
i came across some pretty old paper work , one being a nj game law book for 1974 and a old pamphlet from pilgram lake campground , im not sure the year but it looks atleast from the 70's

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    395.1 KB · Views: 349
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 366
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 347
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 362
  • photogamelaws.JPG
    photogamelaws.JPG
    669.6 KB · Views: 385

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Cool stuff devilstoy. However, for us guys nearing death, the 1970's really isn't old ! :) The Pilgrim lake pamphlet is neat. I have been going by there a lot lately and it appears to be closed. Is it ?

I have a lot of my game laws and migartory laws from when I was younger. I started hunting in 1968.
I have an assortment my grandfather's licences and game laws from 1915 and scattered years up into the 1950's. In 1915 a license was $1.00 and it included fishing.
I am attaching a photo of his 1915 NJ and a 1921
Pa. license.
In the 1920's he attended Penn State for forestry and I have his Pa. sew-on licenses from when he was a student.

Interestingly, in Pa. the following (abbreviated list) could be killed at any time with or without a license: (From 1920 Pa. game laws)
blue jays, kingfishers, buzzard, goshawk, sharp shinned hawk, Cooper's hawk, red tailed hawk, red shouldered hawk, broad winged hawk, marsh hawk, rough legged hawk, duck hawk, barred owl, great gray owl, great horned owl, snowy owl, hawk owl , blue heron, green heron, and night herons.

Isn't it a miracle that we still have all of these species today ?

Bounties were offered for the following;
$8 for wild cats. (Personally, I would give you $20 :) )
$2 for fox
$1 mink
You had to submit an affidavit and the pelt to collect.

img_1247.jpg

img_1250.jpg

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I realize stuff from the 70s isnt all that old lol but I just found it interesting , the info you posted is pretty cool , it's actually amazing you have a hunting license from 1915 , that's pretty awesome

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I realize stuff from the 70s isnt all that old lol but I just found it interesting , the info you posted is pretty cool , it's actually amazing you have a hunting license from 1915 , that's pretty awesome

According to Fish and Wildlife, the first resident hunting license was required in 1909 and the first fishing license was required in 1915. They threw fishing in with hunting as a bonus.
When I was a kid, trapping was thrown in with your hunting license. Today trapping is separate and more expensive than any other resident license at $32.50. Non-resident trapping is the most expensive at $200.50

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Today trapping is separate and more expensive than any other resident license at $32.50. Non-resident trapping is the most expensive at $200.50

Makes a man wonder; is the $.50 part a tradition, something they just could not stop adding on? Or do they think it makes it look more inexpensive?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
If you wanted to hunt and fish to the extent the 1915 license allowed, How much would it cost today?
Tom,
My All Around Sportsman license costs $72.25 and includes firearm hunting, archery hunting and fishing. No permits or stamps are included. Zone specific deer permits are $28 and you now have to buy another $28 Buck tag if you want to take a buck in the permit seasons.
I just bought my 2012 All Around license, coyote/fox permit and my trapping license yesterday to the tune of $106.75
That doesn't include the two deer zone permits I have already bought at $28 each. I literally took my piggy bank to the bank yesterday and got $93.00 out of that to help ease the pain. Wait, isn't that still my money anyway ?

Straight firearm is $27.50 and plain freshwater fishing is $22.00

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here is some more old paper.
My grandfather's 1917 NJ game laws printed by the local Camden gunsmith Wm. Stein Company at 309 Federal Street. Musical merchandise and Glover's Dog Remedies sold as well.
Seems like a good place for a gunsmith today, what with all the guns on the streets of Camden. There has got to be a demand for proper firearm maintenance and repair and ample supplies of ammo. What's a thug to do ?
:eek:
img_1252.jpg

The game laws themselves. Probably hard to read. Deer hunting was the last three Wednesdays in October and the first Wednesday in November, limit one deer. Turkey and pheasant were closed until 1919.

img_1254.jpg

Reactions: devilstoy

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I have an assortment my grandfather's licences and game laws from 1915 and scattered years up into the 1950's. In 1915 a license was $1.00 and it included fishing.
I am attaching a photo of his 1915 NJ and a 1921
Pa. license.

Is that last name "Ivins" ?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Is that last name "Ivins" ?
Yes Terry, Harry Ferguson Ivins. He grew up on a farm in Medford, lived in Collingswood after college and in Moorestown for most of his later life.
He was my paternal grandmother's second husband. The first one (my blood grandfather) died very young when my father was only 7.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Scott,
There was a beautiful farmhouse and land on Elwood Road (marlton/medford border) that was always particularly interesting to me. It adjoined the Benj. Cooper property (Savich Farm) on the old Tuckerton Rd (Main St). The name is familiar to me. I went to school with Ivins'. It's an old name in the area. I recently inquired about the house and no one seems to know who's living there and the status of the property. Savich Farm became Green Acres land years ago (1980s).

Thanks, Terry

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My grandfather's cousin, George Ivins and his wife May, had a dairy farm at the intersection of South Elmwood and Evesboro Road. I used to play in the milking barn and work a hand operated corn sheller with a big flywheel. The barn was located across Evesboro Road where the jog was for North Elmwood Road. Remnants of the barn stayed there until fairly recently, long after they redid the intersection and built stores on the west side of Evesboro Road.

I was fascinated by cows when I was a little kid and I later showed one in an agricultural fair when I went to Cook College. Her name was Legacy Vestal Biscuit. Biscuit for short. I had her shinin' like new money and she took a blue ribbon.

The Ivins family was all throughh Evesboro and the nices farm house I remember was on Troth Road bewtween 70 and Evesboro road. That was Alice Ivins' house.

Sorry for the hi-jack devilstoy !

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
terry are you talking about that really old mansion type house that sits a little off of the road with a big field next to it ? i aways wondered about that place , i rarely see anyone there but recently i seen a dumpster outside as if they we were cleaning it out or renivating it , it doesnt seem as someone lives there but someone deff maintains the property

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My mom knew the Ivan's family in Marlton. They went to the Methodist Church when she taught there. I met them all as a kid but that was so long ago I don't remember them.

Guy