Some Recent Visits

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Two of my recent visits. This one has the initials JH which may stand for Joseph Higgens or Higgins. I will have to do some research to find out more about this.

IMG_1311.JPG

The stone above is quite large; however, this one towers above it. I would have to assume it has been worn down over the years, and may have been even taller. And there may possibly have been initials on it since one of the Society Stones looks similar and had initials which are no longer there. They most likely would have been towards the top. This is located in a really nice area along a cedar swamp.

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1317a.jpg

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Guy, do you have any idea how old that last one might be? (What are your mental guidelines when you're thinking about age-of-stone?)

A great photo! What kind of rock is it?

Glo

Oct 25, 2006
All,

Two of my recent visits. This one has the initials JH which may stand for Joseph Higgens or Higgins. I will have to do some research to find out more about this.

The stone above is quite large; however, this one towers above it. I would have to assume it has been worn down over the years, and may have been even taller. And there may possibly have been initials on it since one of the Society Stones looks similar and had initials which are no longer there. They most likely would have been towards the top. This is located in a really nice area along a cedar swamp.

Guy

Are those Stones located down located in the Millville-Woodbine area ?

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, do you have any idea how old that last one might be? (What are your mental guidelines when you're thinking about age-of-stone?)

A great photo! What kind of rock is it?

Glo

Glo,

Most of the time I have no idea the year the stone was placed there, and the same is true for this one. It most likely was after 1850 but that would be a guess at this point. I wish I was better at knowing all the different types of stones, so I can't help you there either. I should make it a point to know more about the type they are.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, I am (as you might guess) more intrigued by that sedge in front of the tall stone (the green vegetation in the close up--it really is a lovely habit of growth). That may have a flowering spike around the month of June, and achenes later, perhaps by mid July. If you ever pass that way again, and the time is ripe (no pun intended), snap a photo of the flowering spike or grab a couple of the achenes. I'm fairly certain it is not an endangered sedge, but I'd like to figure it out anyway.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, I am (as you might guess) more intrigued by that sedge in front of the tall stone (the green vegetation in the close up--it really is a lovely habit of growth). That may have a flowering spike around the month of June, and achenes later, perhaps by mid July. If you ever pass that way again, and the time is ripe (no pun intended), snap a photo of the flowering spike or grab a couple of the achenes. I'm fairly certain it is not an endangered sedge, but I'd like to figure it out anyway.

I have added it to my iCal calendar which will notify me to check it.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Them are some big rocks!!! Guy, I came across a property stone a couple days ago and am curious if you are familar with it. I'll try to mark it's approx. location. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.81535988393646&lng=-74.56751346588135&z=16&type=topo&gpx=I didn't look closely enough at it (just saw it from the trail side) to gage it's age but I'll say it didn't look very old. You are probably familar with it becasue, as I recall, you've covered this area well. If not I can provide you with more detailed directions.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Them are some big rocks!!! Guy, I came across a property stone a couple days ago and am curious if you are familar with it. I'll try to mark it's approx. location. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.81535988393646&lng=-74.56751346588135&z=16&type=topo&gpx=I didn't look closely enough at it (just saw it from the trail side) to gage it's age but I'll say it didn't look very old. You are probably familar with it becasue, as I recall, you've covered this area well. If not I can provide you with more detailed directions.

Jeff

It was just a concrete monument. Your detailed directions to me were perfect!

IMG_1392.jpg

And you were only off slightly with your map link.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.8154497&lng=-74.5669958&z=17&type=k&gpx=

Guy