Something caught on camera?

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
We are just trying to figure out what it is. The video was taken at Atco Raceway about 2 weeks and it shows something fly across the screen at a high rate of speed. Of course we have gotten everything from UFO, military jet, missile, bird to camera glitch. We are not sure and thought maybe someone on here might have an idea. It is in the pine barrens after all! Thanks

EDIT: Link fixed by TeeGate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCs5Elbu90

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
It wobbles and then disappears behind that pine-tree. If the camera could be slowed to frame by frame it would be easier to identify it. I saw a show about flying "creatures" that were elongated with many "legs" caught on camera, the theory was they were another life form, but when a high speed camera was used it was discovered they were insects and the camera made them look like something else.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Looks bogus to me. It just appears above the right timing sign and exits screen left. Maybe a crop duster, but there doesn't appear to be a tail fin. Frame by frame would be nice.

While walking the back road in the dunes at IBSP, I came across these tracks.

3631697663_861737c4a9_o.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is in 17 frames. I have them all and will post them when I get them ready. I have a guess.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It appears to start right at the power line tower then moves across, behind the pine and off the screen.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In frame 1 you can see the object is moving upward. If it was a model rocket it would continue to go upward but it doesn't. A remote controlled plane or similar item could be controlled and even "dip," or for that matter be effected by wind or car turbulence. Do they move that fast, I am not sure, but I believe it originated in the parking lot which is on the right side where it is coming from. I don't believe in UFOs.

Guy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9 Starts to dip

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15 Goes behind tree

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Overall view

overall.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
12.52 under 98 mph? Must be bracket racing. Oh, You mean the thing flying through the air. It's moving too fast for me.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
low, fast, resolution sucks. No visible rudder. looked like a tomahawk or other cruise missle. I rememeber back in the 80,s when the f4's out of macguire would fly low and fast, the sound was deafening. How much noise did this thing make?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
low, fast, resolution sucks. No visible rudder. looked like a tomahawk or other cruise missile. I rememeber back in the 80,s when the f4's out of macguire would fly low and fast, the sound was deafening. How much noise did this thing make?

I doubt a missile would dip.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It may be time for a recovery effort :rofl:

Yellow line is direction of the race cars, pink line is finish line.

3632691206_36b6b7a28b_o.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am starting to think it is fake. The video drops right at the point the UFO drops.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe someone fairly close to the cameraman filled one of those long kids' balloons and then let it fly.

A really great thought; however, do you agree with me it goes behind the tree on the left. If so, it would have to be out there a ways. If we think it goes in front of the tree you could be right.

Guy

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Thanks for all the responses. I think it is either a bug or a flaw in the camera. On a racing website they went crazy over this trying to figure it out. Like I said we got everything from UFO's to SR-71's. Haha. Thought everyone on here was more "level headed" and since it happened in the pine barrens there might be, and usually is, an easy explanation. Also it's fun, I guess.

I do not believe this was done on purpose. The guy who filmed it is named Jimmy Biggs who runs Your Way Network. You might have seen him do some info commercials for some local companies on Channel 2. He films a lot of races in the area and said he discovered this while editing a shot.

Teegate, thanks for breaking it down like that, makes it much easier to see. Still not sure what it is though. We do get a lot of moths at the track, like big lunar moths, could that be it? Are they even around now?

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
My vote it is a jet. In the first pass on the video, you can gear somebody uttering something as the object is two thirds of the way across the field of view. In subsequent replays, the utterance is deeper in pitch and longer, meaning the video has been slowed down slightly. The reason you can not see any tail is because the object is blurred both in the depth of field of the camera, and haze. Slow down or freeze the video of any video you have, and you will see that even moving objects twenty yards away and in focus can be a bit blurred. Camera wobble adds to this. No mystery here, its a jet.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No mystery here, its a jet.

If it were a jet, I think the person taking the video surely would have heard it at that altitude. If its a bug, its one, big bug. It appears to show up behind the powerline tower and disappears behind the pine tree, which puts it some distance away.

Where is Scully when you really need him?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
If it were a jet, I think the person taking the video surely would have heard it at that altitude. If its a bug, its one, big bug. It appears to show up behind the powerline tower and disappears behind the pine tree, which puts it some distance away.

Where is Scully when you really need him?

Assuming it was a jet (that's my vote), depending on how fast it was going, how far away it was and the altitude, the sound would have been pretty far behind it. By the time the guy filming the race heard it (over the sound of the cars), the jet may have been out of sight behind the trees. The "dip" to me looked like heat or haze distortion. Was it warm that day?
Greg