something gross in my garden

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Check out these 2 pics my wife took of our front garden. 1 area with yellow mustard looking crap and another larger spot of what looks like vomit nearby.

Appeared overnight just after the rain we just had. Any idea what it is?

On another note, I noticed a bird sitting in my yard hardly moving. The next day, it was near that spot and it was dead. Should I be concerned about the dead bird?

Attachments

• red-crap.JPG
    red-crap.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 269
  • yellow-crap.JPG
    yellow-crap.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 287

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Stiz, what you have pictures in your bed is slime mold. It may be Fuligo septica(?). The mold usually appears after very wet, warm weather during the late Spring and through out the Summer. It is harmless and is something that appears on decomposing mulch. Wait until you see Stinkhorn and the spores from artillery fungus start appearing on your house. The joys of the fungus among us.;)

Almost all of the houses, I landscape, will have this at one time or another in the landscape beds. It isn't anything of concern.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
On another note, I noticed a bird sitting in my yard hardly moving. The next day, it was near that spot and it was dead. Should I be concerned about the dead bird?

What kind of bird? Its near the time West Nile begins to rear its ugly head. Might want to call your county health office and have them check the bird. WNV cannot be caught from birds, dead or alive.

I've found a sick bird. What do I do?
Birds generally don't have symptoms of West Nile until the final stage, when the virus has caused encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain. These birds tend to look drowsy or "drunk" - they are unable to fly, walk properly, or sometimes even stand upright. If you find a bird in this state, it may have West Nile or it may have another illness or a head injury.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
What kind of bird? Its near the time West Nile begins to rear its ugly head. Might want to call your county health office and have them check the bird. WNV cannot be caught from birds, dead or alive.

I've found a sick bird. What do I do?
Birds generally don't have symptoms of West Nile until the final stage, when the virus has caused encephalitis, or inflammation of the brain. These birds tend to look drowsy or "drunk" - they are unable to fly, walk properly, or sometimes even stand upright. If you find a bird in this state, it may have West Nile or it may have another illness or a head injury.

That was how I originally found the bird. Next day it was 1 foot away and dead.

I will call someone today.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Ok, just reported it to Ocean County Communicable Diseases Department. They are coming to pick up the bird today.

Thanks everyone.