SPICY BUFFALO CHICKEN FINGERS

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
does anyone have a good recipe. i cant seem to get the coating thick and crispy like the store bought tyson spicy buffalo chicken fingers. im looking to make my own but if i use a shake n bake type coating it comes out powdery. of course im trying to keep it low fat and baked in the oven. any ideas? :?

B

bach2yoga

foofoo said:
does anyone have a good recipe. i cant seem to get the coating thick and crispy like the store bought tyson spicy buffalo chicken fingers. im looking to make my own but if i use a shake n bake type coating it comes out powdery. of course im trying to keep it low fat and baked in the oven. any ideas? :?

Sorry, I don't, but foodtv.com has a lot of great recipes. You can search by the show or the recipe or the ingredient. Maybe Emeril?
Renee

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I bake my own too. I mix Frank's Red Hot with garlic powder, butter, and a little bit of brown sugar. To thicken the sauce I just add more butter. A way to thicken any sauce is to add a little bit of flour dissolved in water. I think you want some kind of coating. It would be easy to do if frying, but not sure of results when baked. I would try to lightly coat the wings in flour (dry) before baking them. This would give them a little crunch. I making myself hungry! I love wings!

B

bach2yoga

jokerman said:
I bake my own too. I mix Frank's Red Hot with garlic powder, butter, and a little bit of brown sugar. To thicken the sauce I just add more butter. A way to thicken any sauce is to add a little bit of flour dissolved in water. I think you want some kind of coating. It would be easy to do if frying, but not sure of results when baked. I would try to lightly coat the wings in flour (dry) before baking them. This would give them a little crunch. I making myself hungry! I love wings!

When's dinner? :D
Renee

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
the batter im looking for is a thick crunchy type. not like that sand coating you get with shake and bake. more like fried chicken. just though we had some chefs on the board :wink:

B

bach2yoga

foofoo said:
the batter im looking for is a thick crunchy type. not like that sand coating you get with shake and bake. more like fried chicken. just though we had some chefs on the board :wink:

I do love to cook, but I don't like to do stuff on bones too much. I do more ethnic and vegetarian cooking and baking. :lol: My family loves them though. I cheat and buy them from our local wings and things deli.
Renee

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
The problem is that you're baking instead of frying. It's tough to get the same texture as fried chicken without, well, frying it.

I've made two runner ups to the real thing in the past: double breaded and drizzled with margarine in the broiler or using crushed corn flakes and baking, with the former being the better out of the two.

Assuming a pound of chicken or so...

Recipe #1
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper (choose your pain)
1 or 2 dashes of garlic powder
2 or 3 egg whites
2 tablespoons light margarine

Either add the first four ingredients to the bread crumbs or to the egg whites. Your preference. Beat the egg whites until a slight head forms. Dip the chicken in the egg whites, cover it in batter, dip it again in the egg whites, again in the batter.

Put the chicken on the tray five inches from the broiler for five minutes on each side or so.

Recipe #2
1 cup of coarsely crushed corn flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper (choose your pain)
1 or 2 dashes of garlic powder
2 egg whites

Same as above. Just one dip and in the oven at 375 degrees on a nonstick baking pan for about 45 to 55 for breasts, 20 to 30 for tenders. I suggest adding the spices to the corn flakes in this case, as they're rather bland compared to most store brand bread crumbs.

If you have poultry seasoning, by all means, substitute it for the salt, pepper, and garlic. I usually add thyme and basil to these, but that's just my own taste. Add whatever spices you prefer.

--Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is nice to see a young guy who can cook.

Guy

BorderWalker

Scout
Jun 26, 2003
Middlesex, NJ
Thanks, Guy. It was kind of inevitable since both of my parents are cooks. Well, since we're on the subject: what's everyone favorite type of food to make? I usually go for anything Cajun/Creole or Italian.

--Tom

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Tom,

Same here. Fell in love with Cajun cooking when we went to New Orleans. Best food I've ever eaten.

As for recipes I use www.allrecipes.com. Has alot of them. If you do a search for buffalo chicken fingers the first recipe I came up with was a low fat one. This site also has alot of recipes from companies. http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/
Hope one of these 2 sites help. Use to run a cooking message board and still have a cooking site so got lots of links to cooking.

Nykki

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
Tom,

Same here. Fell in love with Cajun cooking when we went to New Orleans. Best food I've ever eaten.

As for recipes I use www.allrecipes.com. Has alot of them. If you do a search for buffalo chicken fingers the first recipe I came up with was a low fat one. This site also has alot of recipes from companies. http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/
Hope one of these 2 sites help. Use to run a cooking message board and still have a cooking site so got lots of links to cooking.

Nykki

I use that site too! Never had a bad recipe from there! I made a pumpkin soup for T-day from there that was delicious!

I love food....love Cajun--my first taste of Cajun was blackened alligator. I love Thai food and Greek food (I craved it when I was pregnant with Kristen--moussaka!) and Japanese food (edamame with star anise and inari sushi), mmm...the list goes on and on.

Man, am I getting hungry....

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
Mitch loved the fried alligator and he loves sushi. Have'nt had Thai food yet but we want to try it. Anyone know of some place good to get it?

Nykki

http://makeashorterlink.com/?H6A5224F6

There are a couple in Cherry Hill that are supposed to be pretty good-the French & Thai one is good. Be prepared for major heat in the spice!! I love the tea - chai. It's very rich. You could try making pad thai at home, it isn't hard, and it's a great introduction to Thai food.

There's a good Burmese restaraunt in Philly to in Chinatown, too. Think spicy with a lot of coconut milk (which I love--I put it in my chicken curry, and I love it in Jamaican beans and rice. Speaking of Jamaican, I love Jerk chicken too.)

I like some Indian food too, chicken curry, and samosas, etc. I only eat inari sushi, in the fried bean curd pockets, as I don't care for sea veggies. I buy dried sea veggies by the bag though, and my kids eat them like they are potato chips. There is a great tea room in Glassboro called Tokyo, not real expensive, that we go to once a month or so. The kids like the tea booths because they have to take off their shoes. We spend under $40 including a nice tip, and the food and service is consistently wonderful. Kristen, without fail, orders sushi, and we all split an order of edamame. They serve both Japanese and Chinese cuisine.

Renee

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
BORDERWALKER - now this is what im talking about :p i will give it a go this week and let you know. i should have known corn flakes would be key :bow: if they turn out good i will spread the good word :D