Spiders

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Can anyone tell me a good website that lists all the spiders found in this region? Our home has a rubble foundation and dirt floor. It stays relatively damp and is the perfect habitat for a few different species that I have seen, however, I don't know spiders. We often get spiders in the living areas of the house. Some that look kind of like a sac spider. Others could be a type of daddy long leg.

Both my daughter and I had received insect bites while sleeping. They started out like mosquito bites, which turned into open sores and then developed a red rash about the size of a half-dollar. My daughters, however, also had a little sac of puss.

Thanks for your help.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
if you got bit by a spider and its an open sore now you better get to the hospital. you could of got bitten by a brown recluse. if you get bitten and it goes untreated you could lose the limb you were bitten on. they have something in their venom that causes the skin to decay. i know somebody that got bitten and he had to go to hospital. he was bit on the knee and was complaining about it was red around the bite then it swelled up real big. he was in the hospital for a couple of days.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Can anyone tell me a good website that lists all the spiders found in this region? Our home has a rubble foundation and dirt floor. It stays relatively damp and is the perfect habitat for a few different species that I have seen, however, I don't know spiders. We often get spiders in the living areas of the house. Some that look kind of like a sac spider. Others could be a type of daddy long leg.

Both my daughter and I had received insect bites while sleeping. They started out like mosquito bites, which turned into open sores and then developed a red rash about the size of a half-dollar. My daughters, however, also had a little sac of puss.

Thanks for your help.

Tom, this is the time of year for tick nymphs, and they are hard to spot on your body or clothes. They give me the same type of bite, and if I scratch the spot I often open up the wound and it becomes like an open sore. But, like you, I often start off with what looks like a bee sting or mosquito bite, then it deterioates as I scratch it. A couple weeks ago I had welts on my neck with no identifying insect as the culprit. I washed my bedding in hot water and bleach and that problem went away. But, this conversation is now spurring me on to go out to home depot and buy some indoor spray like "home defense". My life would be a lot easier without these itchy bites!

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I don't think it was a brown recluse. It appears to be the same bite I received, which has gone away. The sore developed because she wouldn't stop scratching it and it doesn't appear to be getting any worse. It does sound more like the bite of a tick nymph.

I appreciate the concern, though.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
I probably should have attempted to take pictures before jumping to conclusions. They looked very similar about as big as a half dollar including their leg span. I didn't take in to consideration the eye pattern and other aspects that were mentioned in that site you gave me. Is there spiders that look very simlar to a brown recluse?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I probably should have attempted to take pictures before jumping to conclusions. They looked very similar about as big as a half dollar including their leg span. I didn't take in to consideration the eye pattern and other aspects that were mentioned in that site you gave me. Is there spiders that look very simlar to a brown recluse?

There probably are, but I have not attempted any comparison.