Spotting scope for wildlife

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

Do you remember years ago at Warren Grove when the woman was driving by and you said I bet she is a birder. She stopped and you were correct.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
The thing with scopes is they are usually used with tripods due to their higher magnification. I think the limit for hand held viewing is something like 10x. A 56mm objective isn't small either. A proper fixed power 8x or 10 monocular will be smaller and lighter - I'd be looking for something like an 8x-20 or 10x-25.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The thing with scopes is they are usually used with tripods due to their higher magnification. I think the limit for hand held viewing is something like 10x. A 56mm objective isn't small either. A proper fixed power 8x or 10 monocular will be smaller and lighter - I'd be looking for something like an 8x-20 or 10x-25.

Thank you, this was very helpful!
Ed

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Scopes have their uses, and I have two, but I prefer binoculars for most of my viewing. There is less eye strain, and you acquire your target more easily. The problem you described is not a normal trait of binoculars and indicates an adjustment issue. Either you don't have the two barrels adjusted the right distance from each other for your eyes, which I imagine you would have figured out on your own by now, or the "collimation" is out of whack, which is an internal adjustment, and not really a DIY job to fix. I had a pair of Bruntons, which experienced a bad drop, that needed that years ago, and it was a warranty repair. It's a more common problem with inexpensive binoculars. Most people move up in price and quality rather than bother to have them repaired. You will be happier with a better pair for other reasons as well. And good doesn't have to be big, if portability is desired.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Reminds me; when I did a plant survey last summer, I was looking for a sedge that is hard to see, especially amongst grasses and other sedges. So, knowing I would only be 5 to 8 feet away, I looked for and bought this one below. It does work well, but as the survey progressed, it became apparent I had to be crawling around anyway. I'm keeeping it though, I can see birds when they are too close for a normal pair, which is pretty cool.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am a huge fan of Leupold rifle scopes and their binocular products. I have a pair of their BX-4 and another pair of their BX-3 10X x 50mm binoculars. I am a really nice guy so I let my wife use the BX-4's when we hunt together. :)A little pricey for the BX-4's ($700 +/-) but good glass when hunting is worth every penny.

Actually, I see no perceptible difference between the BX-3 and BX-4. We absolutely love them and they are not too much to carry. We both have shoulder harness pouches that you don't even know are there. In my opinion they are far superior to a monocular because of the wider field of view and stability of holding something with two hands that has some width to it. Both have diopter adjustment to compensate for differences between your right and left eye. The 50mm objective gives you good light gathering ability for early morning and evening.

For rifle sighting at the range, I have an angled eyepiece 20-60X x 80mm Redfield spotter. Only about $300 but it does it's job. Before I take a dirt nap, I want get a good $1,500+ spotter.

I stumbled into a Swarovski demo day at the Cape May Refuge about 8 years ago. Swarovski is what the big boys and girls use (rabid birdwatchers) and the quality is beyond your imagination.. The color sensitivity when viewing waterfowl will put you into a trance. A set of 10X x 50mm binos will only set you back $3,200.00 but after you try a pair, you will start thinking about selling your kids. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ecampbell and Wick