Spungs

Charisma

Sep 20, 2006
in the pines!
www.labarc.com
I attended a very interesting talk at the Buena Vista Historical society tonight, and one of the topics was spung ponds in the Pine Barrens.

I was searching for further information (I didn't find any!) and came across this site, which looks fantastic so I signed up.

I've lived in the Pine Barrens all my life, but I've only recently started to get into learning more about the history and ecology of the area, thanks to my older brother who is really knowledgeable about such.

Anyhow.. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about spungs, or where I could find information about ponds (likely former ponds) of the pine barrens?

Thanks,
L

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Hi L. Nice to have you.

Take a look at this interesting, however dated, bit:

<<<In a study issued by the Academy of Natural Sciences for the National Park Service, Jack McCormick recommends a periglacial spung study! In "A Study of Significance of the Pine Barrens of New Jersey" (1968), later reprinted as The Pine Barrens: A Preliminary Ecological Inventory (1970), he relates to the area's potential for scientific study.

In Chapter 9, p. 82-83, under the heading Scientific Values: Geological Research, he states,

"Our knowledge of the geologic and biologic history of the region is poor and conflicts of opinion have arisen frequently between adherents of opposite views.... The physical environment of the Pine Region during the Pleistocene Epoch and during the subsequent warming period are virtually unknown. Some geologists claim to have found evidence of severe tundra-like conditions, but others claim the region only slightly cooler and wetter than the present. ... Another geologic mystery concerns the numerous saucer-shaped depressions scattered throughout the Pine Barrens. These depressions, similar in many respects to the better known Carolina Bays, have been attributed to phenomena of original deposition of the Coastal Plain formations, to differential illuviation of clay and silt particles and their deposition in the depression areas, to wind erosion, and frost-thaw action during the Pleistocene." /Mark Demitroff>>

Charisma

Sep 20, 2006
in the pines!
www.labarc.com
Thank you! That's the name of the guy who did the talk (I couldn't spell his last name, hah!). Googling his name brings up a lot of stuff about spungs and the permafrost and the like. Very helpful.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Snoop around a little on the Camden County Historical Society site.
Good, good stuff on waterways, streams,ponds,swamps, lakes and such.
Mostly compiled by Boyer so some information is a little dated . Spungs/Spongs are noted.

G.