Sssssnakeheads!?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
No, and I hope I never do see any in the pines. These things can be a real problem. There is a reason Asia is so far away.:) Hopefully the pickerel will eat them if they are ever introduced (God Forbid).

Jeff

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Yet another horrible invasive species that we dont need, I thin anyone who knowingly introduces such a thing into our waterways needs an extended stay in prison, hmmmmm unless we can force them into servitude eradicating things such as they introduced.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Maybe I read the article wrong ( fascinating by the way ) but aside from some accidental migration, what in blazes would be the purpose of "introducing" this thing to our waterways?

G.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
LARGO said:
Maybe I read the article wrong ( fascinating by the way ) but aside from some accidental migration, what in blazes would be the purpose of "introducing" this thing to our waterways?

G.

The only purpose would be "criminal" in nature. Like vandalism. It would serve no benefit.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Oh yeah, those people that make up computer viruses. Those people, vandals and the type that would introduce snakeheads to N.A. People who destroy and ruin things just because they can, with no benefit to anybody even themselves. People who desperatly need a date!

Jeff

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i agree, i dont know very much about snakeheads, i think that i heard they eat basically everything where they inhabit thats in the water (bass, pickeral, anything) is it true that they are so carnivorous and dangerous to whatever ecosystem they're in. And isnt there another kind of fish like the snakehead but has a diffrent name?

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I believe it was in a Courier-Post article a few years back that they explained why someone would release such a destructive invasive species. I think its a tradition in parts of Asia to buy two of these snakeheads and release one into a river, and keep one for the home. This of course is totally irresponsible in this country. I agree that it also could just be a total unthinking jackass. The local sightings I remember being reported were in a lake in FDR park In S. Philly and across on the jersey side on the Woodbury or Westville Creek. Both were very close to the Delaware.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
LARGO said:

G.

"G."

It was my assumption that this species had been "inadvertantly" dumped into our ecosystem, where, by the way, it flourishes --- kinda like those "cute," little, alligators one could purchase in Florida. Some time after returning to the North, those little critters get to be too big for the acquarium, or too much of a "hassle," or one's interest in them wanes, so they get "flushed" or "dumped" into the nearest stream...

ebsi

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Beleive it or not that are a catch and kill species. If you come across one catch one or see one. Exterminate it no lie. Park officials even give the ok. These things are in the DELeware rive now and in Pa. They have poisoned pakes in florida (stupid way to do it) to kill these critters. If you see one kill it plain and simple. They are a HUGEE threat. :jd:

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
Last summer at a local lake (not Pine Barrens), I saw a Red Devil and someone's rather large Koi. The lake is known in these parts as 'Puppyland', easily accessible to people wanting to drop off their unwanted aquatic pets. :(