Stafford Forge Target Range Clean-up

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I just did a recon of the shotgun range. Not too bad with shells but the trash is windblown all over and much more than last year. I am very pro gun, but this place should be closed if the people who use it abuse it so. Be it known, whoever put up the notices about the cleaning, one of the signs was already ripped down and used as a target...

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I have been there when guys are out there farming brass. I also made a formal complaint about the garbage to the DEP last year. They could not do anything. No one wants to put a dumpster there as it would be a spot for dead pets and other more malicious drop offs. All of the garbage there is shooting related. Either large boxes for clay targets or ammo boxes and real estate/political signs used for targets.

Yeah, DEP is a tough one. They're already overworked and understaffed, and with the amount of paperwork that they have to go through for the smallest of things, it's tough going in that department. My girlfriend works for them. I think it would be interesting to see things like they were in the early 20th century. I've never noticed if the sides of the road were covered with trash in old photos. I'd imagine it's more of a newer thing within the last 40 - 30 years to see litter everywhere, but I wonder when people really stopped caring. There just seems to be too much of an attitude of "it's not my problem, so I don't care" now and days. Every little bit helps, and as long as there's people out there who care, like a lot of people on this site, there's hope. Everything can't be picked up, but we'll do what we can.

Kevin

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’ve been putting the notices up at the range. I pass by every day on my way to work and have checked on it every few since the first notice was posted there three weeks ago. After the first sign was taken down I was pretty discouraged, trying to imagine why anyone would do that. Then, it became more of a challenge. On one of the Saturdays I was there first thing to the morning to check on the signs and saw a group of people with shotguns and targets, but they were raking up shells and cardboard in the shotgun area, and bagging it before beginning their shooting session. Those are the people who give me the motivation to pursue this. The county can afford a whole pile of laminated signs and I’m stubborn enough to keep to keep pace with the asshole that keeps tearing them down. Perhaps it is someone who shoots there every Sunday morning and thinks he is going to prevent the clean-up from happening. If so, he will get a rude surprise, since we will have much larger plywood signs that morning notifying of the range closure and law enforcement personnel there to enforce it.

The state has promised to arrange for a dumpster and I have done the volunteer recruiting and publicizing through the county parks. I expected that the dumpster would have been placed there by now and will have to check with my counterpart at the state tomorrow to make sure it hasn’t been placed in the wrong location by a lost truck driver! So far I’ve had two different scout troops having members that use the range offer to be there, as well as several individuals.

Kevin is absolutely right in regard to how things are at the state level. Their field staff were spread far too thin before this economic mess and things are only worse now. And I can vouch that things on the county level are only slightly better. But it does help to be based closer to the problem. More cooperative ventures such as this are in the works. Pete McLain has approached me with an idea of an arrangement with the state where the county parks will assist in managing Webbs Mill Bog. Beaver have been consistently flooding the are and that significant habitat is at risk. With our office about fifteen minutes away, we are in a better position to monitor and rectify the situation than the state is. Stay tuned for that one.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
More cooperative ventures such as this are in the works. Pete McLain has approached me with an idea of an arrangement with the state where the county parks will assist in managing Webbs Mill Bog. Beaver have been consistently flooding the are and that significant habitat is at risk. With our office about fifteen minutes away, we are in a better position to monitor and rectify the situation than the state is. Stay tuned for that one.

That is real good news German. If you ever get a free hand to change what you want, lets tear down that plastic walkway and put up a cedar one. It breaks my heart to see the tiny flakes of plastic drop into the bog.

PS: the hand rails are too high too. Makes viewing hard.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pete McLain has approached me with an idea of an arrangement with the state where the county parks will assist in managing Webbs Mill Bog. Beaver have been consistently flooding the are and that significant habitat is at risk. With our office about fifteen minutes away, we are in a better position to monitor and rectify the situation than the state is. Stay tuned for that one.

Great news German! Now if we see a problem we know who to contact if this works out.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
We had an extremely successful day yesterday. About 30 volunteers showed up and far more was accomplished than I had hoped. Not only were the shotgun shells on the shooting line and the litter in the tree line all cleaned up, but the fields in front of the shooting line were attacked with a vengeance. It looked like an old illustration of cranberry workers in the bogs, with lines of volunteers raking their way across the fields, clearing the plastic wads and broken clay targets alike. The dumpster provided by the state was completely filled and the conservation officer on site commented how he hadn’t seen the range this clean during his career. I’ll post pics when I get a chance (meaning when I get the time to painstakingly follow the admittedly easy instructions. I’ve been taking baby steps with this new fangled computer stuff! :))

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
We had an extremely successful day yesterday. About 30 volunteers showed up and far more was accomplished than I had hoped.
Congratulations, and thanks for all your efforts. I always like to hear of the woods being cleaned and the fact that so many people showed up proves that there are many out there who also hate to see the woods trashed. I just hope that future users of the range appreciate and respect your efforts and the environment as well.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I am so sorry I missed this. I had a last minute invite up to NYC for the weekend. I stopped there today and it looks fantastic (despite the new 50-100 shells already left there since). I noticed the archery range was not cleaned up though. I will clean that tomorrow to make up for my truancy.

Excellent work!

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Here is a good before and after. This makes me very happy.

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_6023a.JPG

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I arrived at 3pm and wow was an excellent job was done.

So I headed elsewhere and brought some junk to the dumpster.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Great work. I would have attended, but had a Paddys Day party up North to attend. Please let us know of any other range clean-ups. Anyone have any word why the Shotgun at Colliers Mills was closed a while back? Never got an answer to that. Thanks.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Great work. I would have attended, but had a Paddys Day party up North to attend. Please let us know of any other range clean-ups. Anyone have any word why the Shotgun at Colliers Mills was closed a while back? Never got an answer to that. Thanks.

As I work for the county, rather than the state, I have no idea why the Coliiers Mills Range was closed. You would have to inquire further with the state guys regarding that. I only became involved with the Stafford Forge range clean-up due to the close proximity of both my park as well as my home.

PancoastDrifter: Thanks for the pics. They give a good idea of what was accomplished.

Freerider: Thanks for the additional help!

The next clean-up we will be involved with is the Forked River Mountain Clean-up, done in cooperation with the Forked River Mountain Coalition. It is on Sunday, April 19 and will meet at the Lacey Twp. Municipal Building, on Lacey Rd. This one covers a much bigger area and involves far more people. You also get lunch!

bigoldford

Jan 3, 2009
very impressive results. we should start organizing some more clean ups making more places look this nice!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I heard it was due to lead shot contamination. The notice on F&W web site seems to indicate that the shot fall zone was within a wetlands area. It also says that they plan to reopen it, but its been closed for 2 years.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2007/rangeinfo9-07.htm

I’ve always wondered if the lead at the Stafford range would someday be a problem as well. While it is not landing in a wetland area, years of accumulation in the same spot must be something worth considering. But then I guess it pales in comparison to what is being blasted into the ground by those F-16s and A-10s a few miles away.