Starlink Satellites

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Until last night, I didn't know Sh&t about Starlink. I have educated myself very quickly after my son sent me a video last night of what looked like a miles-long illuminated train arcing through the sky.

Here is a link offering information on the best times to see them based on your position. I am headed out tonight to the best sky I can think of where I can have an unobstructed view to the west and arcing northeast. It will start at about 10 degrees above horizontal and peak at about 40 degrees at 6:30 tonight. Only lasts 5 minutes.

With all of the unidentified things being shot down lately, my son assumed the worst until he confirmed what it was. On the negative side and after reading Starlink's grandiose plans, someday the sky may look like a carnival at night. :(

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
A little too much cloud cover tonight, unfortunately. Plenty of stars but I started noticing a little white haziness. We stayed put for 10 minutes after the event was supposed to happen. Aircraft were easy to see in every direction. I checked NOAA satellite weather and I could see a thin but noticeable smoke coming over the area. I will definitely be trying again. The short video my son captured last night was fascinating.

On a positive note, we sat and listened to a large pack of coyotes that lit up for several minutes.. I got some 'sploring to do ! :)

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
I saw it for the first time at Craters of the Moon last summer. At that time I had no idea what it was... we really thought we were either hallucinating or seeing UFO's!