State considers 4 bills to expand hunting

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'd go along with the last 2 as there already are youth hunts days that are well supervised. No one, regardless of age, should be in the field actively hunting without first attending firearm training. Kids can already accompany their parents while hunting, just cannot participate. The Sunday hunting I could support if the same regs for bow huntingof deer apply.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I also am not keen on the first proposal. While some may take the stance that the parent's duty and desire to train their child trumps that of the state, a poorly supervised and untrained youth with a firearm can be a danger to others as well as themselves, especially since hunters frequently separate from one another while hunting. All hunters, regardless of age, should recieve formal hunter education, which includes firearm safety. Looking over your child's shoulder while he/she's shooting targets with a .22, which I've done, is a safer and less risky situation.

I'm on the fence with the Sunday hunting. I'm content with the current six day a week availability, but also feel the danger feared by others that obligates them to want a "safe" day is overrated. I have a fear of flying and my daughter used to fear the dark, but being afraid of something is not at all the same as there being something to be afraid of. Statistics prove all three fears largely unfounded. In any case, perhaps limiting it to Wildlife Management Areas might be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No compromise about the hunting with firearms on Sunday. Turn it down. Enough is enough.

If other outdoor recreational activities can take place on Sunday, so should hunting under the current Sunday hunting regs. There is no reasonable argument not to. :smug:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If other outdoor recreational activities can take place on Sunday, so should hunting under the current Sunday hunting regs. There is no reasonable argument not to. :smug:

Whenever I see one of your smug replies to me I always mutter under my breath: "Oh shut up 46'r".

Your last post is no different.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Hey !! Fight nice you two !
Realistically Bob, how often, if ever, have your outings been disrupted or re-routed by encounters with hunters ? Our numbers are not as great as everyone seems to think and our sport, as German indicates, is extremely safe.
(I am only being facetious with my Duck and Cover six-day posts.)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Realistically Bob, how often, if ever, have your outings been disrupted or re-routed by encounters with hunters ? Our numbers are not as great as everyone seems to think and our sport, as German indicates, is extremely safe.

Scott, I want one day where I don't even have to think for a moment of a guy with a firearm out there, and I will take my grandson out with me on those days. We should have the freedom to roam at will one day a week. I don't think that is too much to ask.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Your beginning to sound more and more like Bill O'Reilly :smug::smug:

Far from it. O'Reilly takes the opposing view to incite his guests. That is more like you. I know you reply to me in the role as a contrarian just to get under my skin. You don't really believe that Sunday hunting is warranted.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Far from it. O'Reilly takes the opposing view to incite his guests. That is more like you. I know you reply to me in the role as a contrarian just to get under my skin. You don't really believe that Sunday hunting is warranted.

My initial response was to the post by Teegate. Then your alter ego O'Reilly chirped in, or was that the Limbaugh one? :eek: The post's run in sequence you know. :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My initial response was to the post by Teegate. Then your alter ego O'Reilly chirped in, or was that the Limbaugh one? :eek: The post's run in sequence you know. :D

I have no idea what you mean by the above.

So anyway, you are now for allowing firearm hunting on Sundays, when you used to be against it?